Chapter 8 - The Visitor

Chapter 8

The Visitor

"Bleep! Bleep!" I don't remember much about what really happened after I passed out. "Bleep! Bleep!" But I remember the sound that was confirming me I was still alive. And the pain in my head that wouldn't leave me, and the light that seemed to pass right through me eyelids. I could fell someone's hand covering mine very slightly. "Bleep! Bleep!" I wanted the light to disappear so I could go back to my slumber. I was so tired. My head hurt and I wanted to sleep so bad...

"Doctor, I think he's awaking." I heard a deep voice saying.

"Lucas?" some woman said. "Lucas?" it repeated. I groaned. My throat burned as I tried to groan, a raspy sound coming out. "I'm Doctor Cohen. Can you try to open your eyes?" she asked. I didn't want to. The light was so intense I felt as if I opened them, they would instantly combust.

"Light..." I managed to croak, shutting my eyes tight.

"It's okay, Lucas. Your eyes just need to get used to see. You've been out for quite a while now. The light is down. Even the curtains are. Just try to open your eyes for a while."

"Head... hurts..."

"I know, Lucas. The nurse will be there in a few with some medicine. Michael, could you please go tell Lucas' parents that he's awake?"

"Mi... Michael...?" I asked.

"I'm here." I heard the deep voice again, followed by a light squeeze of my hand. When he started to let go, I tried to hold it back, but my hand was too weak.

"Stay..." I said.

"I'll be back, Lucas."

"Stay..."

"That's okay, Lucas. I'll go by myself if you just try to open your eyes to let me know how your vision is." I heard the woman say.

So that's what I did. At first it was as if coming out of a very dark room and stepping to a bright sun. My vision was blurry and even if I did know the room was lightless, the natural light of the room was too much for my eyes. My head hurt. I blinked a couple of times and finally, I could see. Not quite exactly clearly, but I could. The room was your typical hospital room, as you see in movies. Close to me, I could finally put a face on the voice and there stood this forty-something woman dressed in white, a stethoscope held around her neck. I couldn't say my first vision was one of an angel, but she was quite charming. A smile was slightly parting her lips as she put her hand in front of my face.

"How many fingers do you see?" she asked.

"Jeez! not so close..." I told her. She grinned, causing a little smile of mine to follow suite. "Three, I guess..."

"Good. Do you remember what happened?"

"A car..."

"Okay." She wrote something on a pad. "Can you tell me what is your family name?"

"It's Decker."

"Good. Seems as you don't have amnesia. That's pretty good. When the paramedics brought you here, you had a mild concussion. That's why your head hurts. Do you know what a concussion is?"

"Yeah..."

"Okay. You have a double broken tibia, so we had to put your right leg in a cast. If you don't put too much pressure on it, and I'm sure you won't do that, it should be healed in about three months. You also broke your left radius, probably when you hit the ground, and so we also needed to put your arm in a cast. Arms are easier to heal. We should be able to remove the cast in about a month. You were lucky the car was not coming very fast." A nurse entered the room. "Hugh will give you some analgesic for your head. After that, you'll need to sleep. Do you want to see your parents before?"