Court of Owls

For Maribat March: Day 17 Theme: Court of Owls

Damianette

Heavy Alya, class, and Lila salt, if you don't like don't read.

Part of the Penpals/texting universe

Approximately a year after texting. Also in case, it wasn't clear this isn't exactly canon-compliant and I will be moving events in the timeline around.

The trip started well, they didn't even attempt to leave Marinette in Paris. God, it was disappointing how that was considered a win these days. But she should have taken into consideration the class would attempt to ditch her in the most dangerous city in the world, Gotham. And now she was starting to wonder why the hell this city was even a choice. Besides the fact, they had penpals here.

She was trying to navigate herself to the hotel on foot when someone started following her. She was on a pretty busy street at this time, but it was getting dark quickly and she needed to lose him. Marinette kept walking looking for a store she could walk into and hope he left or at least get a good look at him. She eventually walked by a deli and figured it would do.

No one followed her in.

Marinette walked around the store for five minutes and she could tell it annoyed the hell out of the person working the register. She was just trying to be safe and this was the best way she knew how. When she left the store the sun had set and the sidewalk was deserted. However, that also meant whoever was following her was no longer there. So, she continued on her way to the hotel.

When she passed by an alleyway someone grabbed her, then she realized she wished she had just called Damian when she was left. Then she wouldn't be in this situation. Someone grabbed her and attempted to pull her into the alleyway. Turns out years of being a superhero for a couple of years helped Marinette learn some self-defense. Who would have known?

As the person tried to grab her she kicked and screamed enough to free herself so she could land a solid punch on them right in the jaw. The attacker stumbled to the ground and Red Hood appeared.

"Need any help little lady?" Red Hood asked, having his gun aimed at her attacker.

"I don't like killing, but can you call the cops?"

"Aw you're no fun Pixie."

Marinette's eyes went wide. She was not as stupid as her classmates assumed, and in any other circumstances, she would consider it a coincidence. But, Red Hood said it the same way she had heard him say it when she talked to the family. It was exactly the same way. She looked at her attacker and realized he was conscious.

She kicked him forcing him to the ground, knocking them out.

"Jason," she said in a hushed tone.

"Did you just knock him out?"

"Yes, Jason. What the hell?"

"How'd you figure it out so quickly?"

"Pixie."

"Bruce is going to kill me."

"Bruce is the damn bat isn't he?" Marinette asked, piecing it all together.

Jason was simultaneously proud and scared of Marinette. She was putting together everything way too quickly. And it would absolutely freak Bruce out, who already had way too much to deal with. Bruce was investigating the Court of Owls and it was draining him.

"Okay look Bruce has too much to deal with and he can't know, okay?"

"Look, I'm not in the business of outing anyone's secret identity. I won't say anything and we don't need to tell him unless absolutely necessary. Let's just call the cops and get this guy out of here."