Dreamlike [YulYen x SsamYen]

"Joyul?"

"Hmmm?"

"Why do you have to leave?"

"That's the reality of life, Yena. People come and go."

"But without closure?"

"Sometimes, having no closure is the closure itself."

"But... 4 years Yuri. We've been together for 4 years. How can I possibly forget about that? How can I possibly forget about you? Tell me. Coz I don't freakin' have any idea how at all. I tried...but I failed, miserably."

"Then I'm asking you to try harder. Maybe you're not trying hard enough. And Yena, I'm not asking you to forget about me. I'm asking you to move on. Why are you making this harder for the both of us?"

"Sounds too easy. Except that it isn't."

"I am happy now. And you would be too; only if you'll completely let go of the idea—of the possibility that there would be an 'us'. Because that's impossible. Give yourself another chance on love. Stop pushing people away. Stop pushing Chaewon away. Because I am never coming back to you."

///////////

"Yena! Yena! Wake up! You're having a nightmare, oh God."

"Why do you have to wake me up? She was there...She's alive in that dream. Why the fuck do I have to wake up to the fact that she's not here anymore. Just...why?"

"Yena...why can't you just accept that this is your reality now? That Yuri is gone and she's not coming back. I am here, Yena. I am here. Why don't you give me a chance? I have always been here. But you don't see that, do you? No. I was wrong. You could definitely see how hard I am trying. But no. You refuse you acknowledge it. Because you still wanted to live in that world. In your fucking fantasy world."

"I didn't ask you to fuckin' stay with someone as miserable as me. You wanna leave? Then go leave. You think I would care? Hell no."

"I am asking the same question to myself. You think I didn't think of leaving? That had crossed my mind. So many times. But I chose not to. Because...if I did leave...then who would be left here with you? Stop hiding under that façade, Yena. You're trying to act tough in front of me because you're scared. You're scared that I might leave too, just like Yuri. But I wouldn't. I could have, but I chose not too. Because you're worth all the pain. So even if it kills me inside, I still chose to stay. I still chose to hold on. Yena, please... don't do this to yourself, please."

"Chae...I...I'm sorry. I was just...afraid of the possibility that...my heart would still continue beating for her. What if I would accept you and just like right now, whenever I'm sleeping, I would call her name instead of yours? What if I would unconsciously bring you her favorite food instead of yours? What if...it was her face I would see whenever we kiss? I'm afraid Chae. I'm so... fucking terrified."

"I did not ask you to move on that fast. What I am asking is for you to slowly detach yourself from her. Moving on doesn't happen overnight. And when have I asked you for too much, Yena? I have only always settled for what you can give. I don't intend to occupy all the spaces in your heart. It was enough for me that you're willing to let me in. Can't you at least give me that?"

"I wanna try to move forward, Chae. Heck, I wanna run to get to where you're at right now. But I fear that if I try to, I will suddenly look back and come running to my memories with her instead."

"Baby steps, Yena. I'm not asking you to run towards me. It's already a huge thing for me to even see you try. Can you do that for me? It's gonna be a long road, I know. But it's gonna be worth it, I promise."

"I don't deserve you at all, Chae."

"Who are you to decide whether I deserve you or not? That's on me already, you dumb duck. I have already chosen this fate the moment I fall in love with you. And also it's your fault."

"My fault? You just told me—"

"Yeah. Entirely your fault. Why do you have to be so squishy, adorable and loveable? Hmph. Unfair."

Yena smiled. For the first time since Yuri's departure, the duck smiled.

And Chaewon wished that it would be like that for the following days.