17

On the outside, Minghao seemed close enough to his usual self, though his rigid posture was a bit strange. Under the shadow of his tree, now drained of color, he looked out with a blank smile that hurt his cheeks, as the subjects of his realm peacefully relaxed among their trees and brooks.

He frowned. Subjects? He had never called the inhabitants of the Forest that befo-

Minghao's thoughts were interrupted by a sharp pain in his head and whispers.

"Vota," the voices whispered, and he flinched at his old name - the one from the past he wanted to forget, that spoke of bright futures and false promises, "You will serve us well,"

An overwhelming force took over his mind, and he gave a slow nod.

"Of course."

-

Seokmin woke up blearily to a pounding headache. He didn't recall drinking the previous night, having refused the innkeeper's offer of ale. 

Peering around, he took note of his surroundings. A small enclosure, walled with a red stone radiating heat. There was nothing restraining him, but he still felt restricted, trapped. He felt something draining his energy, and exhaustion weighed him down.

But Seokmin wasn't alone.

Vernon was out cold in a corner a few feet away, in the deep sleep that Seokmin could never get him to wake from. He chuckles, thinking back to the many times when he had to resort to a water bucket to startle him awake. Vernon's presence brought some comfort but little hope for escape.

He was left with no choice but to wait for what was to come.

Unfortunately, he didn't have to wait for long.

-

a/n 

feast my children /j

unfortunately crumbs are all y'all are going to get on this version of solis 

the second version is currently up (as you probably know) so go read that if you haven't already i guess??

toodles