8

The sun was high in the sky, though obscured by a blanket of clouds. Everything was a dull gray, perfectly reflecting Wonwoo's current mood. 

Less busy that usual, he riffled through some old documents he found under the counter. They were probably left behind by the previous owner of the pawnshop. He frowned. Had they always been there? He couldn't remember. He couldn't remember a lot of things these days.

Continuing to read them, his eyes slowly widened, and he cleaned his glasses. Was this real? It couldn't be. Looking through them further confirmed his suspicions. He was looking at maps on where to find the Ruby Spear, complete with detailed notes on how to get there. He looked up, making a 'what the fuck' expression at a nonexistent camera like The Office. How did these papers even get here? Wait, what's an office? he thought to himself. Okay, moving on!

Wonwoo peered more closely at the handwriting. It was vaguely familiar, and he wracked his brains, trying to remember where he had seen it. No matter how much he thought, he just couldn't remember. 

But he had no time to ponder it any further. A new customer was here, and he quickly tucked the papers away.

-

Joshua absentmindedly wiped one of the many tables at his tavern. With all of his regulars out at sea as was their routine, he had most of it to himself, save one or two drunkards that never seemed to leave.

He wondered what happened with Seokmin, Vernon, and Chan. Were they safe? Were they any closer to their goal? It wasn't like it was his business, but he couldn't help but wonder what they were doing. 

Joshua quietly sang a short snippet from a song he couldn't quite remember. It felt good to have a peaceful life. He thought back to, what was it, three? years ago, of his old life with Jeonghan, Mingyu, and all the others. Joshua felt a wave of nostalgia. Where did it all go wrong?

It started out small. 

What felt like a minor disagreement became so much more. It became a fundamental difference in mind set, a clash in personalities. He stopped wiping the table for a moment to stretch his back, lost in thought. Those were the good days, when he was still the first mate. When he had all the freedom he could ever want, when he had the close friendship with the crew and the thrill of adventure. 

But leaving was the best decision. For himself and for everyone else. Especially Jeonghan. Of course he had regrets, but even if he could go back in time, he wouldn't have changed his decision. 

He had seen it - what would have happened if he had stayed. 

-

Seokmin didn't know why he decided to follow Soonyoung, but he did, dragging Vernon and Chan along with him. As he ran to keep up with the energetic figure ahead, the cheerful shop owner led them through a tangle of streets, twisting and turning like he knew the way like the back of his hand. (which he did) Soonyoung soon came to a stop, having barely broken a sweat.

The other three tried to catch their breath, they looked up at the enormous building they stood in front of. It was magnificent, decorated with shards of blue and green glass. Near the entrance, a small fountain sprouted a small cascade of water. Steam billowed out of one of the open windows. 

"What is the place?" Vernon asked, still slightly out of breath.

"This is a bathhouse!" Soonyoung made a grand gesture, holding both arms wide, "And probably the best one in Solis. Whaddya think? Pretty great, huh?"

The three of them could only nod, unsure of how to respond to his enthusiasm.

Soonyoung faked a pout and crossed his arms, "Aw, is that all you have to say?" He abruptly perked up. "Come on! I just know you guys are going to love this!"

-

Seungcheol sat at his shop's counter. It was more lonely than usual, as Chan had gone on an adventure, and Seungkwan was grounded for suddenly leaving without notifying his parents. Coming back, he had realized just how dull everyday life was. There was so much to see outside of Niteo, yet he couldn't just up and leave everything behind.

When would he ever feel such freedom again? To go wherever he wanted with no restraint?

-

Minghao sat among the ruins of the Sanctuary. The ripped, dirt and dust streaked tapestries would take ages to remake, but the Sanctuary would always rebuild itself. 

Time and time again. As long as he was there, the Sanctuary would live on. 

Oh, how he loathed it. 

-

Jihoon gently strummed his lute at his inn room. Without thinking, his fingers moved to the same tune, and he was brought back to a moment nearly a century ago.

A forest. Sunlight gently filtering through the trees, creating a magical quality as small bits of dust floated in the air. Nymphs would watch from their oaks and willows, streams and brooks. 

How he had loved this moments. These fleeting moments where he truly felt alive

When was the last time Jihoon felt that way?

He had sought it for so many years. He thought to the moment a week or so ago. He had stopped at... Niteo, wasn't it? Yes, at Niteo, he had felt a flicker of that feeling of old. 

But how? And why?

-

a/n 

just lil' snippets of (almost) all of the members :) 

thanks for reading y'all

[edited]