6

It was night when Jeonghan snapped awake in his cabin. Something was wrong - he could feel it in the air, practically smell the stink of trouble. 

Quickly slipping into his daily clothes, he grabbed his pistol and crept on deck. What he saw made his heart plummet to his boots. There were soldiers rapidly approaching, and their standards were very familiar. Too familiar.

His eyes darted back and forth as he attempted to form a plan with his still sleep-muddled brain. But it was too late. There was a strangled scream as that night's guard went down, sword skewering through his chest. Jeonghan's eyes widened with outrage and grief as he watched a  friend fall with a thud, open eyes faded with the film of death. 

He couldn't stand by as the soldiers slaughtered his crew, his family, one by one. Gathering his resolve, he stepped out of the shadows, showing himself. 

"Stop this at once!" He grimaced as his voice cracked. So much for authoritative.

The soldiers immediately turned at the sound of his voice and quickly parted as someone in the back walked forward. It was evident that the one who walked forward was someone of higher rank than the rest, perhaps an officer. He practically oozed charisma and arrogance, and his handsome face was set in a grim expression as he moved forward with perfect posture.

They eventually stood face to face, staying silent for a moment. The officer's eyes were impossibly cold and emotionless, making it hard for Jeonghan to maintain eye contact.

Jeonghan decided to speak first. 

"Long time no see," he said, faking a casual air. "Seokjin."

-

They were gathered in the mess hall, Jeonghan and Seokjin sitting across from each other at the biggest table. The crew stood behind Jeonghan while the soldiers stood behind Seokjin. There was an unmistakable air of hostility and a feeling that violence would break out at any moment. 

"So," Seokjin said, "Do you agree to our terms? They're simple enough, really, as well as far too lenient for the crimes you've committed." He gestured at the soldiers behind him. "Our soldiers have you surrounded and could kill your crew before you even blink." He smiled without mirth, a predatory gleam in his eye, "I suggest you comply."

Jeonghan scowled. He knew the odds were against him, but he didn't want to give in so easily. But then again, if he resisted, the officer would be more than happy to kill his friends and take him along like they wanted.

No. He couldn't let that happen, and finally, he came to a hard decision. 

"I'll go with you." Mingyu let out a protest, but quieted when Jeonghan lifted a hand. "On two conditions."

Seokjin's smile widened. "Smart choice. We will grant your conditions as long as they're within reason."

"First, you won't harm anyone in my crew after I leave. Second, Mingyu has to come with me."

Seokjin raised a brow. "Hm, is that all? Alright, I'll grant your conditions." He raised his right hand. "I, Seokjin, swear on my honor as an officer that none of the crew will be harmed after you leave." He put his hand down. "As for the other condition, that can be easily arranged."

That was how Jeonghan found himself leaving his ship, his home of 7 years. The only place he ever felt like he truly belonged. 

-

a/n sorry for the especially short chapter - not feeling very inspired with this part :')