CHAPTER 1: A LITTLE REVISIT

"'So where were you?' Will demanded. He was wearing a green surgeon's shirt with jeans and flip-flops, which was probably not standard hospital protocol. 'What do you mean?' Nico asked. 'I've been stuck in the infirmary for, like, two days. You don't come by. You don't offer to help.' 'I... what? Why would you want a son of Hades in the same room with people you're trying to heal? Why would anyone want that?' 'You can't help out a friend? Maybe cut bandages? Bring me a soda or a snack? Or just a simple 'How's it going, Will?' You don't think I could stand to see a friendly face?' 'What ... my face?' The words simply didn't make sense together: Friendly face. Nico di Angelo. 'You're so dense,' Will noted. 'I hope you got over that nonsense about leaving Camp Half-Blood.' 'I – yeah. I did. I mean, I'm staying.' 'Good. So you may be dense, but you're not an idiot.' 'How can you even talk to me like that? Don't you know I can summon zombies and skeletons and –' 'Right now you couldn't summon a wishbone without melting into a puddle of darkness, di Angelo,' Will said. 'I told you, no more Underworldy stuff, doctor's orders. You owe me at least three days of rest in the infirmary. Starting now.' Nico felt like a hundred skeletal butterflies were resurrecting in his stomach. 'Three days? I – I suppose that would be okay.' 'Good. Now –' A loud whoop! cut through the air. Over by the hearth in the centre of the common, Percy was grinning at something Annabeth had just told him. Annabeth laughed and playfully slapped his arm. 'I'll be right back,' Nico told Will. 'Promise on the Styx and everything.' He walked over to Percy and Annabeth, who were both still grinning like crazy. 'Hey, man,' Percy said. 'Annabeth just told me some good news. Sorry if I got a little loud.' 'We're going to spend our senior year together,' Annabeth explained, 'here in New York. And after graduation –' 'College in New Rome!' Percy pumped his fist like he was blowing a truck horn. 'Four years with no monsters to fight, no battles, no stupid prophecies. Just me and Annabeth, getting our degrees, hanging out at cafés, enjoying California –' 'And after that ...' Annabeth kissed Percy on the cheek. 'Well, Reyna and Frank said we could live in New Rome as long as we like.' 'That's great,' Nico said. He was a little surprised to find that he meant it. 'I'm staying too, here at Camp Half-Blood.' 'Awesome!' Percy said. Nico studied his face – his sea-green eyes, his grin, his ruffled black hair. Somehow Percy Jackson seemed like a regular guy now, not a mythical figure. Not someone to idolize or crush on. 'So,' Nico said, 'since we're going to be spending at least a year seeing each other at camp, I think I should clear the air.' Percy's smile wavered. 'What do you mean?' 'For a long time,' Nico said, 'I had a crush on you. I just wanted you to know.' Percy looked at Nico. Then at Annabeth, as if to check that he'd heard correctly. Then back at Nico. 'You –' 'Yeah,' Nico said. 'You're a great person. But I'm over that. I'm happy for you guys.' 'You ... so you mean –' 'Right.' Annabeth's grey eyes started to sparkle. She gave Nico a sideways smile. 'Wait,' Percy said. 'So you mean –' 'Right,' Nico said again. 'But it's cool. We're cool. I mean, I see now ... you're cute, but you're not my type.' 'I'm not your type ... Wait. So –' 'See you around, Percy,' Nico said. 'Annabeth.' She raised her hand for a high five. Nico obliged. Then he walked back across the green, to where Will Solace was waiting."

~The Heroes of Olympus: Blood Of Olympus