Without You

Clark returned to Metropolis to an empty apartment. He unpacked, and found a purse of Lexy's in the closet. He dumped the contents on his bed. It didn't hold much: a lipstick in her favorite color of rose, her old money card, some mints, a pen, and a picture of them together in Smallville. They were standing under the apple trees that grew in the farmyard. He looked at the picture for a long time and put it in his wallet.

Clark worked overtime at the Planet, investigating reports that Mayor Luthor was interested in running for the office of Governor. In the end, his party supported another candidate, and Luthor diplomatically backed him up. Clark knew Luthor would wait for another opportunity to advance his political ambitions. After work, he went to the Lab, for tests Barry wished to run, and to work with Emil and Barry collecting date on the Maelstroms and the Phantom Zone breaches.

Jimmy told him that Jerry and Lois had broken up, a catalyst being her announcement of their engagement at his wedding. Jerry had gotten her promise that the engagement would not be announced officially till after Jimmy and Lucy returned from their honeymoon but she broke her promise.

"You know Lois," said Jimmy. "She can't resist a story or being the center of attention. It's just that she's great in so many ways it's natural for her to be first in everything. There was a lot of gossip about how overbearing and selfish she was."

"Lois is one of a kind," Clark said.

"That she is. Jerry got a lot of jokes about Lois being high maintenance. He is also one of the kindest men you'd ever meet. He was appalled. You know what a considerate fellow he is. Lucy and I took it in stride. We love Lois, and she'd do anything to help us, but she has a hard time letting someone else go first."

"Maybe it'll blow over and they'll get back together."

"He's going out with several women, including his old fiancée, Cat Grant. Lois is in a frenzy. She had to give back the ring. Four carat center stone and another carat worth of small stones."

Clark thought about the half-carat diamond in the ring he given Lexy. She'd loved it. He'd told her to take it with her.

"Anyway, I've got to take pictures of Mayor Luther and some visitors from the United Planets. Want to come to dinner with Lucy and me next week?"

Clark said, "Sounds good. Let me know when."

*

Clark finished and emailed a story on the new Luthor Medical Center's Children's Wing to the City Editor when Perry looked in the door. Clark looked up and stretched. He hadn't realized how stiff he'd get now he was like an Earthman.

"Clark," Perry said. "I have a favor to ask. A big one. Say no if it makes you uncomfortable, but it would really help me out."

Clark offered a half-smile. "Perry, you know I can't say yes or no until I hear what the favor is."

"Right." Perry eyed him cautiously. "I'd appreciate it if you would escort Lois to the Metropolis Press Awards this Saturday."

Clark half shook his head. An evening with an unhappy Lois would actually manage to depress him further.

"I know how much you miss Lexy. Lois has been dating important and powerful men, trying to show off, but Lucy tells me she misses Jerry and calls Lucy crying when he's photographed with other women. Lois is not the kind to eat humble pie, but she needs to take responsibility for her actions. That's neither here nor there. You're not going with someone, right??

"Right." Clark wondered if Lexy had found someone on her Earth and half hoped she had. He wanted to go home, get in bed, and pull the covers over his head.