Chapter Six

The headlights of the truck did nothing to cut through the darkness in front of me as rain pelted down from the sky. The rain had been going on all day and only continued to get worse as the sun went down. The sound of the rain drowned out the sound of the radio that has been going out for the past few hours. In the seat next to me was a backpack of my most valuable possessions and the box of letters. Everything else was in the back being covered by a tarp that I haphazardly tied down before I left.

As the rain poured down from the sky the road in front of me blurred. I felt my body tense as I leaned forward in the driver seat, my hands gripping the steering wheel. My foot barely hit the gas pedal pushing the truck forward at a leisurely pace of around 35 mph. My speed was not going to be a problem with other drivers because I had only seen three other cars in the past hour. I would have to stop soon. If not to sleep then to at least rest for a bit. The problem is that I haven't seen any form of civilization in the past twenty miles.

A half-lit neon sign appeared on the horizon as my eyes began to get heavy. A sigh of relief escaped my lips as I got closer. The parking lot was completely barren save for one other car parked next to the front door. Pulling in a couple of spaces down from the car I turned off the truck and rested my head against the steering wheel. After a moment I sat back up and rubbed my eyes attempting to wake myself up.

I needed coffee.

Reaching across the cabin of the truck I grabbed my backpack and began digging through it until I found the familiar sock. Grabbing a twenty I buried the sock once more and zipped up the bag, shoving it into the passenger floorboard. Grabbing the door handle I took a deep breath and then shoved the door open. In ten steps it took me to get from the truck to the front door I was soaked to the bone. I stopped only for a second to read the sign on the front door.

Mama Rita's

Open 24/7

Shoving the door open a wind chime hanging on it clatters against the glass panes of the door. Immediately a head of dark blonde hair sticks out from the door to the kitchen.

"Go ahead and sit wherever you like 'hun. I'll be with you in just a second." She then disappeared once again. I could hear a whispered conversation coming from the kitchen. Walking over to the seat at the furthest end of the bar I took a seat. Just because I have advanced hearing doesn't give me a right to eavesdrop.

A few moments later the woman from before steps out of the kitchen and scans the diner until her eyes settle on me. A smile spreads across her face and she starts walking towards me.

"Hello. What can I get you to drink?" She questioned. Her dark blonde hair was in a ponytail with strands of hair escaping and sticking to her face. She was dressed in a pair of black pants and a white shirt with a black apron covered almost entirely with buttons around her waist. The name "Delilah" was proudly displayed on the nametag pinned to her shirt.

"Just a coffee please," I answered smiling politely at her. At this, she turned and grabbed a cup from under the counter and grabbed the pot of coffee filling it.

"Cream or sugar?" She questioned as she set the cup down in front of me. I simply shook my head and took a gulp of the coffee burning my mouth and throat in the process. Mom used to call me insane for drinking black coffee.

"So where are you heading too?" Delilah questioned peering out the window at my full truck. I looked at her for a second thinking of my answer

"Umm, Rochester, New York." I finally answered.

"What's in Rochester?" She questioned furrowing her brows. It must seem weird for a teenager to be driving completely across the country by herself.

"It's a long story," Another gulp of my coffee. She stares at me pointedly for a few seconds before turning away.

"All right, Just let me know if you need something." With that, she escaped back into the kitchen.

The rain continued to pour onto the ground outside causing rhythmic drumming to fill the silence of the dinner. Closing my eyes and leaned forward with my head resting in my hands. I still don't know if I have made the right decision.

"Hello." A familiar voice spoke through the other end of the phone. My hand gripped the receiver tightly and I resisted the urge to hang up.

"I want to talk." There was no point in pleasantries. I just wanted to get this other with me. No matter how much I hated to admit it, this is what my mom would have wanted.

"Alright. We can come and meet you. Are you still in Forks" Carlisle questioned hope laced in his voice.

"No." The word came from me without much of a second thought. "Just tell me where you live. I will come to you"

"Are you sure you want to travel that far? It's no issue really, we can meet you somewhere."

"No. Trust me. I need the drive to clear my head."