Chapter Eight

It had started to rain on the way to the restaurant. I found myself watching the raindrops race down the car window like a child. Soft music hummed throughout the car, erasing the silence between Edward and me. I recognized the song, it was one my mom used to play while we were cleaning the house. She had always been fond of classical music. I heard a slight chuckle come from the driver's seat, and I turned my head to see Edward staring at me. He wasn't even bothering to pretend to look at the road.

"What?"

"You're Humming." He smiled as he said it and then looked back at the road. Furrowing my eyebrows I turned to continue staring out of the window. It was raining heavier now and the lights of the city were streaked as they shone around us. It was soon that Edward pulled into a sparsely crowded parking lot. Almost immediately after the car was stopped Edward was at my door.

"After you." He opened the door and motioned towards the restaurant with his free hand.

"Don't you have to at least act human?" I muttered as I sped to get out of the rain. Not waiting for Edward I busted through the glass double doors into the warm, well-lit restaurant.

"Perhaps, but no one was watching," Edward responded to my previous question as he stepped into the restaurant behind me. Before I had the chance to respond the hostess walked up to the both of us. She looked to be about my age with shoulder-length brown hair pulled back into a short ponytail at the nape of her neck. Her eyes were filled with confusion as she took both of us in. A bright smile spread across her face as she took a few more steps towards us.

"Hello, welcome to Vecchio, how many people are with you today." As she speaks I turn to look at Edwards confused. He brought me to an Italian restaurant.

"Just two, thank you," Edward responded, not reacting to my gaze on him.

"Of course. Please follow me." A cold hand touched my arm, shocking me back to reality. It was a few more seconds before I realized what was going on and quickly followed after her. As we walked I took in my surroundings. It wasn't a large restaurant and there were few other patrons. One family of four sat at a table on the far side of the restaurant. Two young parents, a little girl who looked to be around six years old, and a little boy who looked to be about two.

There were a few couples scattered throughout. Most of them were in their teens or early twenties. One couple seemed to be in their mid to late fifties. They held hands across the table as they ate and talked to each other in a hushed tone. The hostess stopped in front of a booth that was a decent distance from the rest of the patrons.

"Will this be alright?" She questions. Edwards says something in the affirmative and nods his head. "Alright. I'm Lizzie and your server, Christopher, will be with you shortly. Enjoy your meal." Lizzie gives one final smile before walking away. I hear Edward chuckle as we sit down. Looking up at him quizzically he shrugs his shoulders.

"She is desperately trying to decide if we are dating or related." He responds. I nod my head.

"Well we are not dating, we look like siblings. So she can continue to pine after you." At my joke, he laughs a bit louder.

"Oh, it's not me she is pining after." His words shocked me. I looked back over to where she stood waiting to see if any more customers would arrive. I notice now as she periodically makes glances towards our booth.

"Oh, well, she is pretty," I say. He looks at me a bit confused now.

"Pretty? Is she your type?" I pondered the question for a bit.

"Honestly I don't know. I suppose I like girls, but I also like guys. I've never really thought much about it." My response seemed to confuse him more.