Reader Special: Future Sneak Peak

A cool breeze blew past me causing strands of my hair to cling to my face. It was uncharacteristically sunny for Forks, Washington. Only a few puffy white clouds littered the sky. It seemed only fitting that the sun would be shining today.

The ground was still frozen solid, so I had no issue walking across the cemetery in the heeled shoes that Alice had set out for me. Today didn't seem like the day to argue with her. I rolled the stem of the rose between my finger as a torn occasionally got caught on the sleeve of my dress. A small smile crept onto my face as I approached my destination. Two gravestones side by side. In near perfect condition even after all these years.

"Hey mom, I'm home"

Kneeling in front of my mother's grave I couldn't help but let a tear escape my eye. I still missed her, but it usually didn't hurt to think about her anymore. Being back here made it harder, but it also made me feel closer to her. Placing the single rose I held in my hand on the ground in front of her grave.

I like to think she would be happy with the way my life had turned out. I had found my family after so many years of hoping for them. I went to college like she had always dreamed for me. I experienced have experienced almost everything existence had to offer. My eyes caught the ring that rested on my left hand. She would be happy with how life has turned out, but there was still a bittersweet feeling about how she was never able to experience those things with me.

I'm not sure how long I sat there. Time management has never been my thing. Before I knew it storm clouds started rolling in and I was overcast in shadows. Not wanting to be caught in a storm I slowly stood from my place on the ground.

"Mind if I join you?" A familiar voice spoke behind me. I smiled as Edward stepped up to stand next to me. A cold arm wrapped around my shoulders, and I leaned into his embrace.

"What are you doing here?"

"Well, you have been here a while, and I saw the clouds coming in so I thought I would come to check on you." He said giving my shoulder a slight squeeze. His eyes stared at the gravestone before us.

"I miss her." The words were quiet as they left my lips. They echoed between us for a second before he responded.

"Me too." I had heard the sadness in his voice many times before. I turned and wrapped my arms around his torso squeezing tightly.

"I love you Dad."

"Love you too." We stood there for a moment before speaking again. "Come on. We should probably get back to the house. Esme wants us to help unpack and Alice will take the best room if we aren't back for you to claim it before she gets home from shopping." Releasing from our hug I let out a laugh. It had been an argument about who would get which room since we had started discussing moving back to Forks.

"Race you?" I questioned stepping in the direction of the woods.

"Do you really think you can beat me?" He followed letting out a laugh.

"Oh, I know I can." We were soon approaching the edge of the forest.

"You're on."

"Try to keep up Old Man." With that, we both took off into the forest in the direction of the house.