Twelve

Chiara's room was very close to mine and I stood awkwardly in front of her door; I wanted to be at least two minutes late. My heart raced and butterflies fluttered within my stomach, reminding me of the fear I was desperately trying to ignore.

This meant nothing, I tried to remind myself, it's just a stupid party she most likely invited me to because I helped her get to her room the other day. It meant nothing. And all the butterflies fluttered in vain.

I took in a deep breath and knocked on her door.

"Come in!" A voice came from inside. "I'm in the bathroom!"

I twisted the doorknob and entered the room. Smell of lavender immediately hit my nostrils. The only light was a dimmed, violet bed lamp. Her bed was full of clothes. The door to her bathroom was slightly ajar; much stronger light coming from within.

"Hey!" my voice came out all wrong. I cleared my throat. "I could have come later if you're not ready yet." I had no idea what to say.

"No, no!" Her head peaked behind the bathroom door. Her straightened hair spilled all over her naked shoulder. "Open the bottle of champagne! I'll be out in a second."

A few seconds later, she exited the bathroom. The first thing I noticed were the flower-shaped topaz earrings that went so well with her eyes and the light blush of her face. She had a cherry red, strapless jumpsuit on, tight on her body and ending with flare leg. The hemline of her pants was decorated with white, lacy flowers, climbing up her thighs, creating an illusion of a long dress. Her white heels peaked under the fabric.

"You look beautiful!" She actually leaned in and hugged me. Her hands sneaked around my waist and she held me like that for a moment too long. I felt like a creep, but I smelled her perfume; it was fruity and fresh and it smelled like spring. I hoped she couldn't hear my raging heartbeat being so close to me. She dragged her hand up and down my lower spine and let me go.

I stumbled away from her; not knowing how to react.

I couldn't explain what that sentence did to me. Those butterflies went wild and a wobbly, sickening feeling appeared within my stomach. No one ever called me beautiful. Funny, sure. Smart, all the time. But never beautiful. It awoke a desire to be graceful, to be sensual. But I didn't know how.

"You too." I said awkwardly. "Love the outfit." I hoped my smile didn't look as tense as it felt on my face.

"I'm so glad you're coming with me." Chiara turned away from me and grabbed a golden bottle of champagne from the table and popped it open. It was something called Armand de Brignac, which meant absolutely nothing to me.

Apparently, I lost my ability to speak because I stared at her wide-eyed. Gosh, she was so beautiful. Her skin was clear and her hair was shiny and I wondered how could someone be so blessed. She handed a glass of champagne to me.

"To a fun night!" Our glasses clinked.

The champagne was divine, honey and orange danced on my tongue and I thought it might be worth the money spent. The taste and anxiety hit me; emphasizing the flushness of my cheeks.

I felt awkward and nervous and mostly wanted to disappear as Chiara's gaze slid over my exposed shoulders and my bare legs. Impulsively, I held my stomach in. She giggled again.

"You know what we should do?" She spread out her hand and tucked the loose strand of my hair behind my ear. "We should play truth or dare!"

No, we most certainly should not play truth or dare. But her smile shushed the rational part of my brain.

"But-but we only have an hour before the party starts." I glanced at my phone, noticing Steph's message full of question marks and winky faces.

"Ah, but it's so much more fun showing up late." Chiara beamed.