CHAPTER 20 | THE DECOLLATE

The fire can't touch me, for I have burned one too many times and the sea can't harm me, for I've been drowning all my life

The fire can't touch me, for I have burned one too many times and the sea can't harm me, for I've been drowning all my life. Oh but you could rip my heart open, darling, for I have never known love before.

Cassia leaned against a stout tree, holding her breath. The rabbit, not too far away now, was rummaging along a seam of the massive roots. It's feet were light, almost too soft to hear, and it knew she was there, because it flexed its long ears and darted its black eyes around. She breathed deeply, and with a flick of her wrist, caught the rabbit by the neck with her knife.

She met Griffin back at the valley they had gone to the first day of the arena. He was busy collecting some edible red berries. From afar, he appeared so small, yet she knew there was a killer under his skin, in his bones. He had killed his District partner, and so many others, that it was hard to forget he could slam a rock to her skull and be done with her.

He nodded at her, walking over to where she sat on the ground, skinning the rabbit. After a little over a week, she had gotten used to skinning things other than fish; though she didn't exactly skin a fish.

"I'd say we've got a nice breakfast," he said, placing the berries he collected on his jacket, which was folded nicely on the ground. The long-sleeved shirt he wore showed off his arms nicely, but Cassia still couldn't force any attraction toward him, no matter how hard she tried.

She nodded, adjusting her grip on her knife as the warm blood of the rabbit ran through the gaps of her fingers.

"I'll start a fire," he said.

She watched him start to collect wood, the white noise of the river drowning out any careless thought that decided at that moment to pop into her head.

When he came back, he started up the fire the way she saw all the Careers make them. It was most likely a method they were all taught in the elite schools they attended.

"You're very quiet today," he noted.

She started to nod, but stopped herself and said, "Sorry."

He looked at her over the small spark of the fire. "I saw his picture in the sky, the night of the Feast."

Cassia felt every atom in her body go numb. She didn't say anything, only continued to scrape away at the carcass and collect the sinew of muscle.

"Did you go?"

"Yes."

"Did you see it happen?"

She looked at him sharply. "I made it happen."

His face settled into one of contemplation.

They ate in silence and didn't say much until a few hours later, when the mid-morning sun just barely peaked in the cloudy sky. It looked like it was going to rain.