CHAPTER 24 | THE VILLAGE

Life went on, but it was never the same again

What looked to be the entirety of District Four was gathered at the station, waving and hooting. Cassia was dressed in an outfit that Opal had instructed her to wear. It was similar to the faded red dress she wore for the reaping, however this was a lot newer and cleaner and had a bit of Capitol flare to it. She left her dark hair down and wore minimal makeup; she wasn't skilled like Opal or her prep team was when it came to beauty.

Standing on the platform, she searched the crowd for Evelin and her father. Would they have come? she wondered. And then she saw toward the back of the crowd Evelin's pale hand waving.

A smile brighter than the sun that was beating down on them shined on Evelin's face. Something like complete joy filled Cassia at the sight of her twin sister, feeling relief that someone she loves is still alive and well.

Cassia, with Finnick walking leisurely behind her, navigated her way through the crowd. People she had never met before smiled at her and shook her hand, as if acknowledging the sacrifice of her soul for their district. She felt sick but put on a smile for the camera that was documenting her arrival for the people of Panem.

All she wanted to do was run home and curl under the covers, never to be seen again. But even that was impossible. The home she grew up in was replaced by a newer one, built by the Capitol in a gated community where the other past victors of the Hunger Games lived. Despite her new riches, she would be forever reminded of the Games.

Approaching her family, she waited for Evelin to turn away from her, to show her a look of disgust; but Evelin threw her arms around Cassia. Evelin snuggled her face into Cassia's neck and squeezed her tightly.

"You came back," she whispered to Cassia.

Cassia hugged her back equally as tight. "Of course." She couldn't stop her voice from shaking. It was incredibly difficult for her not to burst into tears right there; to fall to her knees and let the demons batting their wings against their cages out.

Evelin finally stepped aside and let their father give Cassia a hug. He didn't say anything to her, stepping swiftly to the side to let the camera crew do their job. She knew that was his way of saying how much he missed her.

She wondered how long the camera crew would be there, filming everything. She reckoned they would stay until the beginning of Parcel Day, the first day of every month for an entire year where every family in the district receives a crate of food and fun oddities. That day was the only thing that made Cassia thankful for winning the Games. Hopefully they didn't stay that long.

She was driven to the new house and the crew filmed her reaction; where she gasped and ran her hands all over the amazing furniture and marveled at the working electricity and hot running water. Once that was done with, they interviewed Evelin and her father and Finnick, who had been instructed not to leave until the camera crew was done.