CHAPTER 14 | THE BREAD

Among the monsters, I am well hidden; who looks for a leaf in a forest?

They had moved on from the valley and decided to start for the mountains as dawn broke. The ground was sprinkled with dew and the sun was high in the sky, Cassia observed, but there were still no tributes in sight. It made her wonder how large the arena was, and if two tributes were left and couldn't find each other, would they be forced to meet by the Gamemakers hand?

"Oh, it's lovely," Clio sighed dreamily, her machete dangling by her side. "One is the daughter of the Capitol, so our architecture resembles the beauty of it's mother."

Cassia had asked the question to keep the silence from dragging on and the cameras focused on their party. She didn't know much about District One, only that Finnick had mentioned when giving her a brief oversight of all of the Districts that they were closely tied with the Capitol because of their rich supply of diamonds and gemstones. They were the prettier version of District Twelve, who was the coal mining district. She didn't actually care about what District One looked like, but if the cameras were on them, that meant a greater chance that sponsors were watching too.

"We even have machines that can turn granite into diamonds!" Ezra beamed proudly, his sharp features resembling cut quartz.

Cassia nodded as enthusiastically as she could muster, "Wow, that's incredible."

They had been walking for a few hours now and she knew that her small breakfast of dried meat and saltine crackers wasn't going to hold her for very long.

She hadn't been in the arena for long and she already missed the taste of the luxurious Capitol food, of a fresh hot steaming meal made with the most colorful spices. She was ashamed she had grown attached, to desire the dangling fruit in front of her face, held by President Snow himself. Years of poverty, of becoming accustomed to the feeling of being hungry, were gone after a mere week and she was already addicted to their hearty meals. And now she was in a place where she had to eat or be eaten. A cruel, cruel game.

"What is it like in Four?" Griffin asked from her side. After last night, he'd been acting more . . . normal. More warm. And Cassia wasn't sure if she wanted to run from it or run towards it.

Four, she echoed in her head. Her home. Her serenity. Her family. She cleared her throat.

"We live as close to the coast as we can, if only to wake up and see the sun lift from the horizon over the waves," She thought of the bustling docks, the fishers market, the sandy beaches and its people. She could almost feel the sun shining down on her, smell the briny air of salt and fish. "Four has some of the hardest working people I know, and some of the stubbornest," She smiled.

"Well, I can't swim so I don't think I would like your district very much," Clio replied.

Cassia nodded. "Probably not."