CHAPTER 11 | THE VALLEY

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul

They couldn't stay at the Cornucopia.

After witnessing multiple tributes die from the sway of the tall grass, everyone decided it would be better to find camp somewhere else. They couldn't risk getting strangled in their sleep by the grass. It would be better to risk running into a tribute or two. And with the dead bodies of tributes scattered around them, the Gamemakers would be waiting for them to leave so they can pick up the remains.

Preparing to leave, Cassia strapped a backpack filled with supplies and weapons on her back. She carried a spear in one hand and in a couple of her belt loops she secured knives sharp enough to saw through wood. She wasn't badly hurt in the aftermath of the bloodbath, only a couple minor scratches she wasn't too bothered by.

Ezra and Clio were a deadly team together. Some of their clothes were already dirty with the blood of others and they were stocked up with so many weapons she wasn't sure how they were going to make the journey, but she didn't say anything. If they were to be encountered by a few tributes and a chase ensued, better to have them fall behind. It was one less person she had to deal with.

"I'm ready," Griffin finally said. He had scoured the area to make sure they weren't leaving anything crucial behind. The only material they couldn't reach was in the heart of the meadow, and they weren't stupid enough to try and confront the grass, even if the bloodbath was over with and enough blood had been spilled to keep the viewers satisfied. For now.

Clio pointed to one of the mountains with her machete. "I say we head that way. That's where everyone will be going since it faces opposite of the Cornucopia. We can pick anyone we run into off as we go."

"If everyone is going there then why follow them? Plus it will take at least two days without stopping to get there," Cassia said.

Clio looked to Griffin, who was wiping off his sword.

Ezra shrugged, "Four's got a point. We should think carefully about this."

"All I care about is getting water. When we find a river or any water source, we will set up camp there and then figure it out after that." Griffin started walking off toward the edge of the meadow, not waiting for anyone to follow him.

Cassia waited for the tall grass to take another tribute, but it only moved with the soft warm breeze in a rippling dance. She shrugged and followed Griffin, adjusting her backpack on her shoulders. The boots she wore were good for traveling, so there was something to be grateful about. Well that, and that she wouldn't have to hunt for a couple of days. The food in her pack, if she were to stretch it out long enough, could keep her fed for possibly even longer than that. If there was one thing she wanted to keep consistent, it was staying fed and having drinkable water.