Rebirth - Part three

Revised 04/05/22

The following morning arrived with all possible haste, incurring the worried and fretful hurrying of the guest disciples as they prepared restlessly for the GusuLan lectures that were to come. In the midst of the bustling crowd of various colour was Wei Wuxian, a carefree smile present on his joyful visage, and a fond Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng following in tow.

His bubbly mood seemed to spread to many others who witnessed such a carefree smile; their anxious atmospheres quickly morphing into one of positivity as they gave the Jiangs their greetings, hiding amused chuckles behind coloured sleeves.

Wei Wuxian failed to shove down the incessant grin in his tone, and bright twinkle within his eyes, even as he attempted to wrought forward an air of mystery. "Jiang Cheng, Shijie! You will never guess what happened last night!"

Jiang Wanyin pursed his lips unamusedly, "Okay...? And?"

Jiang Yanli smiled, even as she mercilessly elbowed her brother in the ribs, "You seem very happy this morning. Whatever happened, A-Xian?"

"Well," Wei Wuxian began, eyes glossing over dreamily as he recalled the events from the previous night. "Ah, what a beautiful night it is, thought I, which is why I eventually found myself leaving my room to appreciate the beautiful moonlight."

"Wei Wuxian, you realise you could have gotten punished for that, correct? ...You did read the rules, didn't you?" Jiang Wanyin remarked, an unamused twitch to his lips.

" 'Course, 'course I did," Wei Wuxian waved his hand in a dismissive manner. "So I left my room to venture outside and appreciate the beautiful-"

"As you've already said. Please get to the point-"

"A-Cheng!"

Jiang Cheng released a grunt of discomfort. "Ouch- Jie!! Why did you hit me?"

"Let A-Xian continue. What happened next, A-Xian?"

"I had two jars of Emperor's smile left from when I'd bought them in Caiyi town-"

"Tch, of course you did."

"Jiang Cheng, are you still angry about me not giving you a jar?" Wei Wuxian queried at the other's silence. "So I ventured to a nearby rooftop, and made myself comfortable. Truly a beautiful night, thought I, settling down and tearing the lid from one of the jars. Really, this next part was a coincidence, but-"

"Who are you? And what are you doing here?"

Wei Wuxian felt his heart stop. Directly meeting his gaze without a hint of discomfort were a pair of glowing golden irises, illuminating the darkness of the night, narrowed in anger as they stared through Wei Wuxian's soul, as if picking him apart piece by piece and disclosing his every secret with a mere glance.

Wei Wuxian's breath unconsciously hitched as he caught a whiff of sandalwood among the gentle breeze of the night; it blew the pair's ebony locks into the wind, as if defiantly flowing against time's rhythm with a valour known to few. The new presence was seemingly a Lan, for their attire and forehead was adorned with the colours of the clan, clouds embroidered into the fabric with a graceful nature that only proved to enhance his beauty.

"Uh, Wei Wuxian, did you just fall in love with someone you just met? Please tell me you didn't, because I am not having you married into another clan and leaving me to run the sect alone. And no, before you request a formal marriage, my answer remains the same."

Jiang Yanli rolled her eyes with a slight chuckle, "A-Cheng, always so dramatic. You know how A-Xian is; a romantic such as he wouldn't..." She slowly took in Wei Wuxian's dreamy expression, and added, "...A-Xian, don't tell me you.. A-Xian?"