Chapter 1

It was a cozy evening. It was late into the dusk, and the gathering was just starting to form.

Slow, easeful jazz tunes were playing in the background, along with soft unintelligible conversation coating the air.

My father was invited to this reception. To keep up appearances, I, of course, had to attend. It's a grand occasion, and all the big names in business are present. You have to be careful and make positive impressions. What would they think if his daughter neglected to attend?

My dress is simple, but elegant. Black through and through, with a nicely placed slit on the side to add some flair. It was flow-y and complemented my body shape well. I wore my favourite pair of beige heels and a chic coat of the same colour. A little basic, but a little simplicity doesn't hurt.

I take off my sunglasses and place them inside my bag.

It is just another one of those parties, people come and go. I can just stay briefly and leave as I wish, that'll be alright.

The house itself is gorgeous; extremely modern and with an open - style space. Outside, a large pool sat with a lovely outdoor lounge area. It is perfect for holding a party such as this. And, of course, this was bound to be one of the many homes the party holder owned.

I'm already exhausted, so I walk over to the bar and take a seat.

"What would you like, Ma'am?"

"Just some water, please."

The bartender gracefully pours me a cup of water and places it in front of me. I thank him, and he walks over to the next person.

I take a sip of my water and turn around my chair.

There were a lot of familiar faces that I recognized. In this business, everyone knows one another. This is what I'd usually do in this kind of situation: just sit, sip, and stare. Nothing else. Not fun per se, but it's okay enough.

I fidget with the rim of my water glass and stare vacantly. The usual waves and smiles pop up here and there, and I gladly return them.

I do my usual thing, just sitting. And sipping.

And, all of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye, I spot an unfamiliar face.

A tall, attractive, lean man with a neatly messy man bun, and a cheap suit. I've never seen him before...

Before I knew it, I am staring for way too long, and fidgeting with my glass firmly, rubbing it in circles around my hands. Who is this man?

He has a confident, warm stance to him; his energy is assertive and smug, but in a good way. I just can't help but stare at him out of curiosity.

He then tilts his head and glances my way, and flashes a gentle smile.

I give one back, before quickly turning my chair back towards the bar. I can feel my face and ears burning immediately from embarrassment.

Shit! He caught me staring!

Usually, if it were any other individual, I'd give back a quick smile and dismiss the thought. But he... he made me flustered.

Desperately trying to calm my blush down, I cower and slant my head down. I hastily pull out my sunglasses and put them on to hide it. Damn, I haven't felt like this in a long time.

Finally regaining my composure, I put my glass down and call for the bartender for more water.

While pouring it for me, I feel a light tap on my shoulder.