Chapter 4

"Where are you taking me?" Eren asked me, confusion apparent in his face. I did pick him up out of the blue today, without warning. But I want this to be a surprise.

"Just wait and see. It's a surprise."

"Is this a kidnapping attempt?"

"No."

"Okay..." And the whole way to our destination, he didn't say a word. He just looked out the window of my car, looking vacant and empty.

Arriving near the location, I stop my car and park it. I get out of the car, and he does too.

"I can see the sea from here. Are we going to the beach?" He finally says something after half an hour of silence.

"Um..." Oops, he's catching on already...

"Isn't it a bit late for a beach day, though?"

"It is rather late, yes. But we're not here for a beach day, Eren."

"Ooo... I'm excited."

"Let us go, then." I grab his hand and lead him to the path that opens up to where I want to take him.

It's a rather quiet night, and you can hear your footsteps crunching on the gravel pathway beneath you. Looking back to see Eren, I notice a light blush creeping up on his face.

"Oh, sorry... Don't want me to hold your hand?"

"No, no. It's fine." His grip becomes tighter.

"Okay, then." I pull on him a little to make him walk next to me.

"I think it's fine to let you know now. We're going on... a seaside picnic."

I can see an excited expression well up on his face. He almost looks like a puppy.

"Did you prepare dessert?"

"Yes, of course I did! And I even made them myself."

"You did!? That's so cool."

"It's about time I treat you now. You've taken me to so many places. I hope you like what I've prepared for you." I give him a warm smile.

------------------------------------------------------------------

We finally get to the beach, and just for good measure, I cover his eyes with my hands. I wanted to save the surprise.

"Come on, I wanna see it..." He tries to make me let go, but I make sure his eyes are covered up good.

"Just be patient, Eren."

"Fine."

I place one hand on his back to steady him, and slowly lead him to the setup I prepared. I sat him down, and then sit down next to him, careful not to let go of his eyes.

"Okay, ready? One.. Two... Three."

I finally let go, and watch his face intently to see his reaction. His big, green eyes widen, and his mouth opens slightly. "Y/N..."

I set up a low wooden table and some cushions for seating, along with a nice iced tea jug and glass cups in the middle for refreshments. Covering us is a see through tent with open sides, lit up with fairy lights hung through every pole. For extra decoration, I added a succulent into the mix, and a scented candle.

"This is... amazing. Breathtaking, even."

"Thank you, I did this all myself."

"You really didn't have to..."

"Hush! This is my gift to you." I'm reminded of Hange from the other day.

"Now, for the main course... Chicken sandwiches." I slide in and place the basket with our food in it on the table.

"That isn't much of a main course." He laughs.

"We've gotta leave room for the real show, the dessert. And don't laugh at me like that." I unwrap the sandwiches, and give one to him.

Quickly munching on them, we finish and wash it down with some iced tea. I then pull out the baked goods I made the day before.

"Vanilla cake and chocolate chip cookies. I made a lot." I hand him a cookie for him to taste.

He takes a bite. "Wow, Y/N, these are amazing!"

"Thank you." I take a bite of mine too. "Oh wow, they really are delicious... I'm proud of myself."

--------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm so full... we ate so much. They really were very tasty, Y/N. Can you make them again sometime?"

"Sure I can."

He then lays down beside me, clenching on his stomach from all the food. He looks a bit tired, but it's kind of cute.

And then I notice I've been staring a bit too long at him, and he was staring right back. I break the eye contact quickly and look at the table, and of course, my face was burning up.

"Thank you so much for today."

"You're welcome."

"I really enjoy my time with you, you know... I've never been this close with someone before."

"Really? I'm glad." Just from that sentence, I could melt into a pile of mush right then and there. I felt so fuzzy and happy inside because he felt that way.

We stay there in silence, appreciating the cold ocean breeze for a while. And then I think, hey, this might be a good time to tell him...

'Eren... I want to tell you something."

I don't hear an answer.

I look beside me, and there he was, sleeping soundly on the floor, lightly snoring, with his head facing my way.

"Really..." I mutter to myself.

I shove another cookie in my mouth and place my hands on the table. I look at him again, taking in his features.

He really is beautiful...