XXIV

Errors were not something that he was used to. In his world, there were no errors. Errors were a thing lost to time because as far as he and the people he knew were concerned, errors only applied to the lesser species that had not yet made it as far as they had. He had never even seen what an error looks like. Yet, when the white lights ringing the interior of the Transport Vehicle suddenly shifted red, he knew he had made one.

"Attention all passengers of Transport Vehicle number BFDI 2763," the flying saucer's speakers blared, "your ship has been deemed suspicious by the flight control board. Per board regulations, we have initiated override controls and will be directing the craft toward an inspection dock. Note: all conversations will now be recorded for possible future use and documentation."

For someone experiencing their first error in their life, he was not fazed. He knew it was coming. The laws of the Speaker Boxes made it nearly impossible to even step into a room without proper authorization, nonetheless hijacking a Transport Vehicle to take a captured organism back to their home planet. He quietly wondered to himself why he had chosen to act out in such a divergent way. Nothing came back.

He had done something for no apparent reason or logic.

The craft continued on its course through the stretch of space between Earth and the station. It kept the same speed and followed the same path. Had it not been for the red lights, he would have never even known he was riding in a ship controlled by someone else.

As the vehicle neared the station, it began to slow down until stopping at a distance of about a kilometre away from the inspection dock. A pair of security enforcers—larger versions of Transport Vehicles with holding cells and police sirens for added effect—dispatched from the dock and made their way out towards him.

They stopped on either side of his craft. Starlight reflected off of the silvered windows like glistening raindrops. He watched as a tow cable sprung out of a small door on each of the enforcers, then latching onto the sides of the Transport Vehicle. With two clicks, the cables found their target and the enforcers began towing him back to the station.

Several minutes later, the three ships entered the bay doors of the dock, which closed behind them. The security enforcers detached their steel claws and were taken into separate garages built into the sides of the bay. Next to him, a door opened in the floor of the ship, followed by a gangplank that lowered, allowing him to leave the vehicle. So he did.

He was met at the bottom by a few Police Boxes—likely the same ones that had taken him in earlier.

"You have been detected performing illegal activities," one of the boxes said, "please follow us to your temporary holding cell. If you resist, we can and will employ forceful actions."

He had never heard of the station having holding cells for Speaker Boxes, and was slightly worried that they'd take him into the specimen labs. But without any real say in the matter, he opted to follow the police.

They lead him through a network of passages and corridors, passing many other boxes going about their day. For a sight that usually would never happen, nobody took it. They were all too focused on their own tasks. Plus, watching prisoners being escorted to a cell was likely not approved for them to do.

A few more turns later, he was brought to a room that was not the specimen room. Rather, it was a simple grey cube with no windows or bars or really anything for that matter. Just a grey metal cube. A Police Box came up and gave him a small nudge, telling him to enter. He reluctantly did, and the door closed with a solid thud.

With no end in sight, he decided to go into sleep mode until something interesting happened.

<=======>