Chapter 15: Dreams

"Y'know, Pencil. I think we need to, like, stop visiting Leafy's Diner, like, at midnight," Match commentated.

Pen's teeth rapidly clattered as he spoke. "Yeah, yeah, whatever she said."

From the rearview mirror of the supervan, Pencil could see that Pen was very pale. How that was possible, with him being milky white, did not seem to fret her. And yes, she did know that going to a restaurant hours after they had closed was not the most polite thing to do. Pencil just did not care.

"Quit your whining, guys. It's not like this will happen again," she replied.

"Isn't that, like, what you said, like, last time?" 

"Match, if you don't shut up right now, I swear I will punch you in the face."

Match shut up.

It didn't take a genius to tell that Pencil was a born leader, able to effortlessly command others as she wished. If you want others to believe in you, you first have to believe in yourself, her mother would always tell her. In that solidarity, she knew that what she was doing was the right thing to do.

Pen, who was previously sweating buckets, had now fallen asleep. To the dismay of poor Bubble, holding him just far enough as to not pop her fragile skin.

"Coin oinyone help me?" Bubble whimpered from underneath the weight.

"On it!" 

Pencil pushed the pedal to its max, sending the tachometer to the red section. After all, she could use any excuse to do a bit of street racing. A second later, the structure of the van reacted to the sudden force, lurching ahead. The speedometer soon followed, using all of its limited dial area to project the physics breaking momentum of the supervan.

"Not this again!" Match and Pen (who had been awakened by pure terror) simultaneously screamed.

<=======>

The house was dark as they entered, though there was one light in the bathroom that was left on. As the others gradually packed in, Pencil heard a thump sound to the right of her. When she turned, the scene of Pen collapsed down on a couch met her. A feeling in her gut told her not to disturb him.

"You, like, mind if I, like, stay over tonight?" Match quietly whispered.

She gave a slight nod and saw Bubble mouth about to open. 

"Yes, you too."

With those three sorted, Pencil could finally get her long deserved rest, after a suspiciously eventful day. It was almost like her life was part of some sort of narrative story, written by someone who had no understanding of her life. 

Climbing up the stairs, she began to feel extremely exhausted. Pencil barely had the energy in her graphite filled body to make it to the bedroom, completely forgoing the still activated light in the downstairs washroom. Utilizing the last bit of her rapidly draining strength, she arrived at her bed - still unmade from that morning.

The last things she heard before her eyelids gave way were the claps and taps of patty-cake from the guest room.

<=======>

People were fleeing. Beams of green light struck down from the ethers. Swarms of bugs were killing any who dared to get in their way, turning their victims a neon shade of green. A small team of objects stood near the base of Yoyle Mountain, forming a sort of final defence.

That was the world Pencil stirred into. Or more fittingly, it was the world Pencil's mind brought her into, for that was all a dream. Even then, the very outlandish events appeared almost plausible. She had been through a dream like this before. And it almost always warned her of impending danger.

A danger that would come very soon.