At The Café (Brett Talbot)

As you duck through the door to your friend's café, you're instantly enveloped by the familiar, comforting smell of homemade food. You sling your backpack in a corner and grab your flour-dusted apron, pulling it on and tying the strings behind you. Just as the clock strikes four, you're making your way to your cashier station in the front.

You've been working at Irene's café for what feels like forever. The little coffee shop/bakery/whatever you want to call it had been shifted from your friend's uncles to her aunts, and then finally to her parents. You're not quite sure how it's managed to stay alive for so long, maybe some combination of hard work, grit, and dark magic, but here it is, thriving amongst the other shops of Beacon Hills.

You knew it was hard to run the café on top of all the other work and schoolwork your friend had to manage, and so you took some shifts to help out. Most of the time, you were a cashier or a waitress, helping to make drinks or prepare orders with your friend while the other family members and workers made pastries and delectable meals in the back.

Irene smiles when she sees you. "If it isn't my favorite coworker! Thank goodness you're here- I hate having to be up front alone." You laugh at her words. "I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to have favorites, especially when half of your family works here as well." Irene swats your shoulder playfully. "I'm sure they won't mind."

The two of you descend into the usual buzz of the café, fixing drinks and running through orders. About half an hour into your shift, though, your friend turns to you, groaning quietly and turning away from the door so she can hide her distress from the customers. "No- it's the Devenford boys again." You glance from her to the shop windows, where you can see a group of boys in athletic uniforms talking amongst themselves and heading in a clear path to the café.

You wrinkle your eyebrows in confusion. "Those boys? They seem fine." Irene heaves a dramatic sigh. "Trust me, they're worse than just fine. That's the Devenford Prep lacrosse team. They come here after practice, and they're just awful. I can't deal with them. I simply cannot." Across the shop, the door opens and the boys file in, grabbing seats at a booth near the windows. Your friend clutches your sleeve desperately. "I can't handle them, not today. Please, can you go take their order instead of me?" You do your best to hold back a laugh. "Sure. Try not to collapse from the stress."

As Irene whispers wretched thank-yous in your ear, you grab a small notebook and a pen and walk briskly over to the lacrosse team's booth, running through the mandated greetings. "Hi! What can I get you this afternoon?" The boys mutter amongst themselves, and then one of them turns to you. He's clearly the captain, as all the other boys look to him. "I'll have a black coffee. No sugar, please- you're already too sweet for me."

You raise your eyebrows at that. "Wow. That was terrible." The boy's face falls momentarily before returning to the usual cocky smirk, but you ignore him and continue to take orders from the rest of the team. As you head back to Irene, you give her an irritated look. "I can see why you wanted to avoid them. I think the captain tried to flirt with me, but I couldn't hear him through all the sheer awfulness." Your friend giggles as the two of you start to prepare the order. "That's Brett Talbot. I think he flirts with everything that breathes."

You look at her in confusion. "Wait, that's Brett Talbot?" Irene nods. "Yeah, do you know him?" You shake your head slowly. "No, but I think he used to bully a friend of mine, Liam. I've never seen him in person, though, just heard enough stories to make me want to avoid him forever."

After the order is ready, you bring over the drinks and food, mentally preparing yourself for the unfortunate task of having to deal with the Devenford boys once more. This time, the captain- Brett- doesn't try another pickup line, but he does wink at you when you give him his coffee.