chapter five - check-ups & cotton swabs

Daisy was angry, and Calypso could tell.

Or...maybe not angry. She just seemed frustrated that Calypso hadn't woken her up the second the accident had happened last night so that Mark didn't have to get involved.

"Don't be so angry." Calypso mumbled, stirring her cereal around. "I said that I was sorry."

Daisy sighed a bit. She didn't want her sister to feel like she was being mean, nor did she want her sister feeling like she had to walk on eggshells around her. She wasn't trying to be mean, just protective.

"I'm not angry." Daisy pointed out. "But you should've gotten me from the beginning. I could've helped, he never had to get involved."

The way that Daisy said he made it sound like Mark was some horrifically evil monster rather than just a person.

"He's nice, Daisy." Calypso said firmly, to which Daisy only let out a dry laugh. "I'm serious. You want him to be the bad guy so bad, but he's not. He's nice, I like him."

Calypso was being naive again, and Daisy was tired of it. Daisy was so tired of it.

But before she could comment on the matter, Mark walked into the kitchen, and that shut Daisy up. She stared down at her cereal, stirring it around the same way that Calypso did. Neither girl was eating their breakfast, but Mark didn't seem to notice. He was busy pulling last minute strings together before he went into work.

Daisy's mind went to her recent problems that she's been having. There was something seriously wrong with her, and she knew that. Despite not really wanting to have to speak to Mark, she knew that she needed a doctor's opinion.

"Mark?" Daisy spoke up, Mark looking up at the sound of his name. Daisy felt a little uncomfortable, but cleared her throat. "Do you think...could I come with you today?"

"To the hospital?" Mark asked, a little lost. When Daisy nodded, Mark was even more lost. "I think you're a little too old for the hospital daycare."

"No, not that." Daisy shook her head. "I meant...more as a patient."

"Why? Do you feel sick?"

Daisy wasn't quite sure how to explain it. She didn't feel sick, but something was very wrong. Her pain and discomfort was there too, and...something was seriously wrong.

"No, but...I want to get checked out. I think there's something wrong with me." Daisy sounded incredibly troubled, and Mark frowned. He hoped there wasn't anything serious going on.

He had a long day ahead of him at the hospital, and his colleagues didn't love when there were kids running around while they attempted to do their jobs. But he figured it was okay if he brought her just to get checked out. Maybe then he could schmooze the daycare into letting the twelve-year-old stay there for an hour or two...or six. Maybe eight.

"Okay, uh...yeah, sure. We should go now though, I'll be late."

Daisy nodded, abandoning her cereal to get on her shoes and a jacket. She helped Calypso with her shoes too, and grabbed her hand, leading her over to Mark.

The three of them were off after that, and as usual, Calypso had a million questions about the hospital world that they were going to enter.

"Does everyone have white coats?" Calypso asked curiously as she scanned over the one that adorned Mark and his navy blue scrubs.

Mark shrugged, a smug look on his face. "Only the best."

The questions didn't stop there, nor did they stop once they got in the car and began to drive down the busy Seattle streets. Calypso's brain was in overdrive.