chapter thirty six - a runaway bride

Daisy and Calypso were well settled in on Saturday with Naomi when Mark left for the wedding, leaving adequate money to order pizza.

Of course, there had been a disastrous argument over pizza toppings between the two sisters, ultimately leading to a meltdown as Daisy explained to Calypso that the pepperoni she so loved led to the death of millions of baby piglets.

"I'm a murderer." Calypso sobbed loudly into Mark's shoulder, dampening the man's expensive suit jacket.

"You're not a murderer, Caly." Mark sighed, trying his best to comfort the girl as he looked up at Daisy from where we was knelt, the teenager looking all too amused with the situation. "Why would you tell her that?"

"I'm kidding, Cal." Daisy grinned. "We can get pepperoni."

But of course Caly was too wound up to come down.

This happened quite often, actually, with both girls, and Mark always had to play peace-maker.

Mark always had to reassure Calypso that Daisy was just picking on her because that was the role all older siblings played, and she loved her little sister very much.

Daisy tended to get quite upset when Calypso lashed out too, and Mark always had to reassure Daisy that despite Calypso's annoyance that she sometimes turned into insults towards her sister, she actually really admired her big sister.

It was truly bizarre, their relationship. Both girls were always there for each other in the toughest moments, no judgment present as they comforted each other.

But when everything was fine? It was like their love language was arguing and picking fights with each other.

"See? All good. The baby piglets are okay." Mark explained as he patted Calypso's back. "The piglets are gonna live, uh...happy, happy piglet lives."

Daisy took in the suit Mark was wearing, tilting her head. "Why are you dressed like a funeral director?"

Calypso pulled away from the hug out of curiosity, her teary eyes scanning his outfit. "Yeah. You're...you're kinda dressed like an old man."

Mark decided right then that this was the reason he had wanted to become a parent. Not for the responsibility, or the feeling of fulfillment, getting to take care of kids in need. It instead was for the never-ending brutality from his children. They had no problem keeping Mark humble.

Mark was half-tempted to tell Calypso she had killed all the baby piglets by ordering a pepperoni pizza.

But alas he was already running way behind, and he was quickly on his way to the venue.

Mark still hadn't received an invite to April's wedding. The only reason Mark was going was because he was able to mooch off of Caroline's plus one.

Which...Mark found offensive. Caroline had only worked at the hospital for a mere three months, and even she had gotten an invite?

Mark wasn't sure why, but he was getting the impression that Kepner didn't like him.

"I sort of pictured horses and haybales when April said she was getting married in a barn." Caroline spoke in awe, looking at the detailed flowers that littered the inside of the opened barn. "This is legit."

Mark had to admit it was an insanely pretty venue. There were small bulb lights strung about, shedding light on the exposed wood and giving the place a rustic sort of feel. Behind the altar, a wall opened up, revealing a perfectly green meadow and the enormously large snow-capped Mount Rainier in the distance. It was a perfect spring day, small flowers in bloom all over.