Chapter 3: No longer alone

A week later, Vanya spent time trying to clean up the makeshift house. Five was away somewhere and she wanted to make this place liveable just in case they had to stay here forever. Five hadn't said anything but Vanya felt like he wouldn't mind her living in his house.

"Right, so I separated this place into sections. The far left is the bathroom," Vanya said pointing towards two buckets leading towards the outside of the hut. "That greyish looking bucket can be the toilet or the yellow bucket can be used for showers, we can decide later. Then here's the living room," she said pointing towards three tree stumps, two small ones and a large tree stump in the middle. "Then we have the bedroom next to the living room," she said pointing at two ragged rugs on the ground. "They're the cleanest rugs I could find. The kitchen's over there," Vanya said looking over at the canned food lined up in a row. "What do you think?" Vanya asked excitedly. Five looked at the hut and smiled. "It's perfect."

"Anyway, while we're here, do you wanna play house?" Vanya asked looking over at Five. "What do you mean?" Five asked, his brow furrowing as he sat on a tree stump. "Oh, you know. I can be the mom and you be the dad," Vanya said. "Vanya, we're not kids anymore," Five scoffed. "Yeah, but what else are we gonna do?" Vanya asked. "I don't know, survive?" Five shrugged. "Yeah, but what else?" Vanya asked. "I don't know, Vanya. I don't have time or energy to play games now, alright? I need to find food and water so that we don't become corpses in a week!" Five snapped.

Vanya looked taken aback. She looked at the ground trying to wipe away her tears. She always hated people yelling at her no matter how often it happened. She hated it even more when the yelling came from people she loved. Vanya just walked away from the hut with her face in her hands.

Five hesitated to follow her. He wasn't sure if he really made a mistake or if she was just being dramatic. Still, Five didn't want to lose her again. This was Argyle City. Sure, it was mostly empty with most things destroyed but it was still huge.

"Vanya!" He called out as he blinked around. Where was she? He thought. Five tried to think of any possible place she would go to. What did she love most?

He blinked into the old doughnut shop. Five was surprised to see it still standing unlike all the other shops. He doubted the freshness of the doughnuts but sniffed them just to make sure. She wasn't here but Five decided to take a few doughnuts for tomorrow's breakfast.

After an hour of searching, Five was almost ready to give up when he heard music coming from his right. He followed the music until he found Vanya playing an old violin by herself. He looked closer and saw that her eyes were red. She had obviously been crying.

"Vanya, I..." Five started. "How did you find me?" Vanya asked, tears filling her eyes. "I followed the sound," Five said pointing at the violin. "I got us breakfast." Five showed her the tissue wrapped donuts. "I'm not coming back," Vanya said. Vanya tried to play the violin again when Five grabbed it from her. "Fi..." she gasped. "No, you're coming back with me whether you like it or not." He stroked her cheek. "I...can't lose you again," he stammered.

"Five, it was only like a day," Vanya said, rolling her eyes. "Yeah, but don't you know how big Argyle City is?" Five asked. "You could get hurt. Come on we're going back."

Five and Vanya blinked back to the hut.

"Can I have my violin back?" Vanya asked. "A bow by itself is kinda useless, you know?"