Chapter 6

The next morning, Five was making breakfast for himself, having found some packet coffee in the rubble. It wasn't the best coffee ever but it was comforting.

"Five?" Vanya called out. Five took a few steps back startled. Was Vanya awake or was he just hearing things?

Five blinked towards the sleeping rugs. Vanya sat there holding her forehead and looking around in confusion.

"Hey, Vanya are you alright?" Five asked, sitting down next to her. Vanya sighed in relief when she saw him and leaned on his shoulder.

"What happened?" She asked looking up at him. Her big brown eyes widened when she saw tears wet his cheeks.

"Five, don't cry. Why are you crying?" She asked, using her sleeve to wipe the tears falling from his eyes.

"I... I could have lost you. I thought you were dead," Five sobbed.

Vanya put her arms around him letting him lean on her shoulder.

"Shh, it's ok I'm here," Vanya whispered rubbing Five's back.

Five wiped away his tears with his sleeve. "That was so embarrassing. I'm supposed to be the strong one. I'm the older one. I'm supposed to protect you, Vanya," he said still leaning on her shoulder.

"There is no strong or weak one here. We'll protect each other okay? I love you so much," she said kissing his cheek.

Five felt his cheeks redden at the sudden kiss. He got up, collected some notebooks and said, "sorry, I have to go somewhere for a bit, can you take care of the house while I'm gone?"

Vanya looked up and said, "Five, where are you going?"

She ran towards the opening of the hut but Five was long gone.