ONE.

the sound of feet bouncing off steps filled your ears. it was customary for you to chase your younger brother, Samson, around the palace. the helpers of the palace yelped and swerved out of your way, with you shouting apologies between your laughter. while you were not descended from king Averet, the king of Wracevell, your father, lord Simond, is king Averet's general. your father's role in Wracevell gives you and your brother certain benefits. you've spent your entire life in the castle, living and eating the same way the king does. the king considers you and Samson like his children. he's even gone as far as to promise the kingdom to Samson, making him the official heir to the throne of Wracevell. but Samson is only in his early years, peaking at age eleven. but since a female has not sat on the throne for thousands of years, you wait for Samson's time to come.

now as you catch up to him, he is called to another one of his lessons. as you're alone, you wander around the castle, your sage green dress scraping lightly against the ground.

"y/n?" you hear a deep familiar voice say. you turn to meet Aragorn's eyes.

"Aragorn!" you smile and wrap your arms around his neck. that earns a deep chuckle from him, and his hands meet your back and wrap in your hair.

one might assume that you and Aragorn are too close to just be friends, but you truly see him as a brother, and he only sees you as a sister. besides, he has a certain entanglement with a beautiful elf you have yet to meet.

"it is so good to see you back, brother, and in one piece." you grin at him.

"as am I, little sister." he gives you one last hug before letting you go.

while visually you both look similar in age, in reality, Aragorn has lived eighty-seven years, while you have lived just twenty. he has been blessed with long life, and you age normally, as a mortal.

you both fall into step, wandering the halls together, with Aragorn telling his tales of his most recent journey. everything is perfect, nothing would dare sabotage this moment.

"y/n" your handmaiden calls out from in front of you, "the king and your father request both of you in the throne room immediately!"

you and Aragorn run to the throne room with grace, Aragorn forcing the door open and leading you inside. both of you bow in front of the king, and greet your father, who remains at the kings' side as his general.

"we have a mission for you, lady y/n." king Averet begins. "a gathering is happening in six days and six nights. this gathering is taking place in rivendell, where they've requested a representative from Wracevell. we've chosen you." he finishes, but you could see your fathers body tense the entire time.

the king dismisses you so he can begin his talk with Aragorn. you rush to your room to begin packing, your handmaiden, Osenne, assists you, bringing only necessities. she gives you a sword and four daggers, which you've been trained with heavily since you could walk. your father pressured you to learn how to hold your own when the time came. but you ended up loving the art of combat. now, you are better trained than most soldiers in Wracevell.

after you finish packing, Aragorn has your horses ready outside the palace. you nearly mount your horse, Lina, before you hear a voice call your name. you turn quickly to see Samson running toward you.

"Samson!" you cry out, running toward him to meet the young boy in the middle. you welcome him in your arms and give him a tight squeeze.

"please don't go" you hear him breathe out.

"I must, my dear brother, but i will see you again. i swear." you give him a light kiss on the head before turning back to lina and mounting her. "goodbye, i will return as soon as i must." you give one last smile to your stone-faced father, who you knew was hiding how he truly felt, and to your teary-eyed brother before galloping in the opposite direction.

toward Rivendell.