TWO.

the journey had only just begun, yet all you could think about was home. your father, brother, and the king filled your mind. you had a feeling in your gut this journey was going to be longer than expected.

your first stop was next to a river, you let the horses eat and rest for an hour before you went on your way again. you and Aragorn had found a comfortable silence until... "you do know what this journey is leading you to, correct?" Aragorn asks you. "Rivendell?" you answer, and you hear Aragorn light chuckle. "we are gathering to discuss a serious journey, a journey that will define the time and freedom of the good creatures of middle earth. I will volunteer to assist this journey, but I must ask you because of how much love I have for you in my heart, to not volunteer, and go back home." he says. he's taken a long time to consider this little speech.

"I appreciate your consideration for my well-being brother but know that I am free to do as I choose. also know that I will do whatever I can to protect my family, my kingdom, and the goodness of the world," you respond after a moment of contemplating. you can see Aragorn tense at your words, but he does not respond. he merely nods his head and smiles sadly at you.

after nightfall, you set up camp as Aragorn hunts for meat or fruits. he returns with a fish he claims to have caught at a nearby lake and a few apples, some wild berries, and two sacks full of fresh water. you had already gotten the fire going and tents set out. you both quietly eat an apple and give the berries and four apples to the horses to give them strength for the journey ahead.

Aragorn takes one more bite from the apple and hands the rest to you. "ill focus on cooking the fish, you may eat the rest." he says gently. "thank you Aragorn." you nod your head and eat the rest, throwing the stem into the fire.

"I know you must be upset with me, but just know that I'm not doing this to spite you, or anyone. I've been living my entire life in a castle, being trained for a battle that I've never been sure is ever going to arrive. now, this is my chance, to put my skills to good use. please tell me you're not angry with me brother." you stare into his grey eyes, which are lighted amber thanks to the fire he's staring deeply into. "I love you too much for you to feel uncomfortable in my presence" he jerks his head towards you, and his eyes soften.

"oh sister I could never be angry with you, I'm just... worried for you." he takes a deep breath and focuses on the fish cooking on the fire for a second. "you're the last family I have, and were not even blood, but that has never mattered before. but I can't imagine what I would do if anything happened to you y/n." he lowered his head, his brown hair falling to cover his face.

you lift a hand to touch his jawline and nudge his face to yours. his forehead touches yours and then you place your head on his shoulder, wrapping your arms around his waist and his arms surround the back of your head.

you both don't say anything at the moment, the embrace says everything to you two.

after you release and begin eating, he hands you a pitcher of water, and you drink from it happily. you feel content to be on this journey with him, his familiarity gives the cold air surrounding you, a warm breeze of summer leaves.

finally, morning comes and you both are back on the road, after a good meal and rest. Aragorn has told you that was the last stop, and Rivendell was drawing nearer.