Chapter 33

Grillby had woken up in a fit of breaths, flames bursting from his body. Someone was touching him. Someone he didn't know was touching him and -

Where was Sans?

"Woah, woah!" Alphys screeched when the flames exploded, ducking behind a nearby metal pan to escape the sudden attack. "Grillby, calm down! It's me!"

Grillby gulped, quieting his flames while staring at her. He was in a bed. A weird bed. It was practically covered in animal fur, with several, decapitated heads hanging on the wall. Off of one of the antlers on the wall, a bra hung. Clothes were thrown about randomly, and several homemade spears were piled inside of a corner.

"Uh, good morning," Alphys said quietly, giving him an awkward wave. "We're in Undyne's room."

"Yeah, I could tell," Grillby said, "What happened?"

Alphys nervously played with the edge of the metal pan, running her clawed fingers along it. "The... the kid, Meer, was actually the Evil King. You knew that, right? Mettaton told us. When we went to go find you and Sans, though, we... only found you. Then the sky... uh, you should just see for yourself."

Alphys gestured to the window, and Grillby gasped.

It didn't look like Wonderlands curse in the slightest. No, it looked far worse. As if a stormcloud ate the entire existing sky and became the new one. It hung with a purple glow, but didn't twirl like Wonderland did, it just sat. Clouding the outside from the sunny warmth.

"Apparently it's happening around the globe, if we didn't have clocks we wouldn't even know if it was day or night. It's always cold outside now. My Mom's been busy trying to figure out a plan, but between trying to hand out blankets and food rations, and trying to gather an army to fight the Evil King, it's been kinda hard."

"Where is Sans? Is he okay?" Grillby asked, foot tapping impatiently.

"We don't know. We're guessing that he's with his Dad," Alphys said. Her own tail curled onto her lap. "Everything has just been chaotic. We're trying to band together people, but the Evil King has sent out these dragon things and is capturing hostages. Prisoners. It's hard. I'm scared that we won't make it. He's trying to make my Mom have no choice but to surrender since we don't have an army. It sucks. Sans is gone, you've been unconscious all day, and I'm scared."

"Oh." Grillby looked back outside. This was bad. Very bad.

Little footsteps shuffled into the room, and Grillby turned to find little Frisk walking in with a knife in it's hoister. Frisk held it out for Alphys, who thanked her lightly, accepting the weapon.

"For self defense. I can't even hold a sword, so... I asked for this. Gerson will be teaching me later how to use it. So I can protect Undyne like how she protected me."

Oh. So it was really that bad, huh?

"You should actually thank Frisk, they're the person who found you." Alphys strapped the knife awkwardly around her waist.

"Thanks Frisk," Grillby said quietly.

Frisk nodded before they left. Leaving Grillby and Alphys alone again.

"So why am I in Undyne's bed of all places?" Grillby asked her.

Alphys sighed softly, as if she was tired from answering questions and doing things. "It was the only safe place for us to all go. Undyne lived out in the middle of the woods, so it wasn't very much a target of the Evil King, since he went for the school and towns first. He's targeting large populated areas to attack with his dragons, so most of my Mom's army is stretched thin." She adjusted her glasses, staring down at her palms with a determined expression. "Things aren't doing so hot right now. Literally. Since the clouds are covering the sky, temperatures are dropping. Some nature elemental monsters are becoming sick because they need sunlight."