Chapter 9: Can't Back Out, LaRusso

Daniel bikes to Mr. Miyagi's house hoping that this is the day he finally learns karate. When he arrives and asks about the Japanese sanders, however, he learns that the man has a chore planned for him. I should've kept my mouth shut, he thinks as he gets to work. He spends the entire day sanding the floor, causing his shoulders to ache. When he finishes, he goes straight home to call Rosalía. It's already night time so he assumes that her parents wouldn't appreciate him coming over. He dials her number and waits for her to pick up.

Rosalía lays in bed flipping through a magazine while listening to music. The phone rings on the nightstand and she reaches over to answer it. "Hello?" she speaks. " Rosalía, it's Daniel," his voice sounds through the receiver. She immediately sits up, tossing her magazine aside. "Oh, hey! What's up," she greets, trying not to sound too excited. The boy lets out a frustrated sigh, making her smile drop. "Mr. Miyagi said he'd teach me karate but so far all I've done are the chores he's too lazy to do himself," he rambles. Rosalía stays quiet as he continues. She listens to him go on about how he doesn't think he'll learn anything by the time the tournament arrives.

She already knows why Mr. Miyagi has Daniel doing all this work, it's pretty obvious. She's shocked that Daniel hasn't figured it out yet. I don't know why I'm surprised, boys are pretty dense. She bites her tongue to not let it slip, however. As badly as she wants to tell him, she worries that it won't have the same effect if he finds out now. So she keeps it to herself. "He told me to go back tomorrow morning at 6:00," he concludes. She grabs the magazine next to her and examines the cover. "So go at 6:00," she responds.

Daniel bites his lip, thinking for a second before asking, "will you come with me?" Rosalía slowly smiles. "Of course," she replies.

———(🌹)———

Daniel and Rosalía arrive at Mr. Miyagi's house and hop off his bike. They walk inside and see him poking the air with a pair of chopsticks. Daniel sits on the pillow beside Mr. Miyagi and  Rosalía sits across the table from the man. "Wouldn't a fly swatter be easier?" he questions. "Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything," Miyagi responds. The two watch as he focuses on the fly. "You ever catch one?" Rosalía asks. "Not yet," he answers.

"Can I try?" Daniel asks. Mr. Miyagi chuckles, thinking that it'd be pointless for him to try. "If wish," he replies. The boy sends Rosalía a glance before grabbing a pair of chopsticks himself. He focuses on the fly and claps the chopsticks together as he tries to catch it. The girl watches them amused. She grins as she observes Daniel's concentrated facial expression. He's so cute. All of a sudden, he catches it and excitedly shouts out, "Hey, hey, hey, Mr. Miyagi, look!" He shows it to the man before turning his body to show the girl. " Rosalía, look!" The girl smiles at his enthusiasm. Damn, I didn't think he'd catch it... neither did he, she thinks, looking at Mr. Miyagi. He frustratedly throws his chopsticks down before standing up. "Hmm," he huffs, making Rosalía stifle a laugh.

He stands in the doorway and sasses, "you beginner luck" before walking out. This time the girl laughs. Daniel doesn't notice as he stares at his chopsticks in awe. He lets the fly go and glances at Rosalía. "You want to try?" he asks. She stands up and states, "I already know I can accomplish anything." She shrugs and struts away. Daniel chuckles and follows after her. "Yeah, I guess that means I can accomplish anything, eh, Mr. Miyagi?" he cockily says as they near the older man.

"Hai."

"No sweat."

Mr. Miyagi snatches the chopsticks out of his hands. "But first, you accomplish paint fence. Take," he says, handing the paintbrush and bucket to the boy. Daniel begins to paint but the man stops him to show him how to do it properly. Once he catches on, Mr. Miyagi walks off and Rosalía stays put. "At least you'll know how to do all this stuff for when you buy a house one day," she tells Daniel to lighten the mood. He chuckles and playfully rolls his eyes. "Rosalía-san, come inside! You distract Daniel-san too much!" Mr. Miyagi yells out. The girl sighs and looks at the boy. "Sorry," she utters before leaving him alone to paint. She stops in the doorway and shouts out, "I'll be cheering you on from inside!" She walks inside and Daniel laughs. Oh, you're amazing, he thinks.