Side Story (pt. 1) - A new beginning

Had some time today during my lunch break and wrote something <3

It was just a thought in my head how if Diluc's father never died, he'll still be Calvery captain and Kaeya would never get his vision, so he'll always be stuck behind Diluc. Cuz the windblume festival thing just started I thought I could sorta relate the story to it ;)

Please lmk in the comments if you want to see maybe part 2~ of this? If no one responds I'll probably just write for fun if I feel like it but probably not gonna post it.

I don't mind whichever :))

-晨光^^

      It was a bright morning day, sunlight streaming in through the half invisible, silky curtains. The windows were shut tight, but it still couldn't block out the loud chirping of the colored birds outside, welcoming the morning of a brand new day. A young man was spread out on the mattress, his black T-shirt riding up on his stomach, his flaming red hair on the side of his handsome features. Groaning at the sound outside, he blinked the sleep out of his eyes and yawned loudly, pushing the window apart.

      He turned his head and lazily look at the pinned calendar on the wall, the date circled in red and large letters next to it.

      MARCH 17 - WINDBLUME FESTIVAL.

      Seeing these words, Diluc jumped out of bed and threw open his closet, quickly rummaging through it to find his Captain uniform. Running into the bathroom, he tied his wild hair into a messy ponytail, holding the hair tie with his teeth. He shoved his toothbrush in his mouth and threw on his coat, bouncing downstairs quickly. Down at the breakfast table, his father and his unrelated brother sat, eating their food.

      "Morning father, moring Kaeya." Diluc spits out the toothpaste, bending down to kiss his father on the cheek. The older man laughed as he got foam on his face, wiping it off with a napkin. The only one not sharing the mood was Kaeya, in a plain guard uniform, sitting at the table chewing on toast.

      "What's the hurry Diluc? Come have breakfast with us!" Their father grinned, patting Kaeya on the head. He grumbled, taking a sip of his coffee.

      "Can't today. We have a meeting before the assembly and the parade." He grabs a piece of toast and shoved it in his mouth, bending down to tie the shoelace of his boots.

      "Yer koing to wuve this, ve have a superse phkaned." Diluc's voice was muffled as he chewed quickly, swallowing his toast with difficulty.

(Translation: You're going to love this, we have a surprise planned.)

      "Bye, dad. Bye Kaeya!" He smiled, waving before stepping out of the room. The house was once again emerged in silence, broken by the father who heaved a large sigh.

      "He's always busy, isn't he?" He smiled. "I'm sorry he can't hang out with you as much as before, kid. But this is good for him. Of course you understand, you're his brother!"

      "It's no problem dad," Kaeya mummers, "I'm happy for him, I'm just...not feeling well today."

      "Oh? You can go take a nap, then. There's still a good hour before the festival officially starts."

      "Thanks. I think I need that." Kaeya stood up, his half-eaten toast forgotten. A couple of maids hurried after him as they cleaned up the table. Once out of sight, he quickly dashed to his room and closed the door, falling on the bed. He can hear his father striking up a conversation with one of the maids downstairs. He's such a friendly person, and that makes him even harder to deal with sometimes.

      Kaeya pealed off the ugly armor, now lying in just a thin grey shirt and long black pants. It was rolled at the bottom of his ankle as they couldn't find one his size.

      He signed in frustration, crawling on top of the sheets.

      He loves his brother, and he always passed the feelings off for admiration & pride. But deep down, Kaeya knew he had to face it one day. He rarely gets any time off, so this extra hour was all he needed to think things through.

      In truth, Kaeya envied Diluc. He was jealous of his friends, strength, cool missions he gets to go on, but most importantly, his vision. Ever since he was little, he witnessed the things elemental abilities could do. Kill monsters, protect the city, make cool effects unimaginable in his 6-year-old brain. He always dreamed of getting one and was most happy when his brother began to show some signs.

      Father had been a commoner, so Diluc had become his greatest treasure, the apple in his eyes. His pyro ability got him to the top very soon, and his father has been very, very, proud of him. Kaeya had expected the same treatment once he gets his unique vision, and waited every single day, for that feeling of strength in his body, elemental mastery.

      Days passed into weeks, months, years...but still nothing.

      Yet Kaeya never lost hope. He read books and stories about the greatest hero who had a late growth spurt of their ability but was stronger than ever. He believed himself to become that hero of Mondstadt, the hero that'll save the city from any monsters the enemy throws at them.

      It's been ten years since he gave up faith completely, shredded the fairytales of a world full of magic and spells.

      He'll never be known as anything else but Diluc's younger brother.

      He'll never do more than chase away animals that get too close to the border.

      He'll never be more than a common guard, not expected to do anything more than rescuing lost cats from trees.

      Orphan, freak, outcast.

      He'll always be in the shadows of Diluc, second-best, strange, forgotten.