Chapter VII - After the Storm

Wrote this awhile ago but never got the chance to post it...making up the story as I go along so it might seem a bit unsynched.

This bit of the story is basically Diluc's perspective on what happened in the last chapter + something more ;)

(Sorry for disappearing for like a year. Will try to update my content more often now.) 

Previously...

With that, she turned on her heels and walked off, leaving a fake and shrill 'get well soon' to Kaeya. Diluc stumbled away shortly, not looking at Kaeya either.

What happened?

Diluc heard the news and arrived as soon as possible. A jumble of the words 'dragon,' 'training,' and 'Knights' was enough to send him on the way. However, it still seemed that he was a little late, as the destruction of the course was spread out all over the training yard, litter and bits of pieces of stuff everywhere.

All he could register in his mind was Kaeya, wondering if he was okay. There have been reports of injuries and he had hoped, prayed, that he was not one of them. And then he'll feel sickened by his own thoughts, as what gave him the rights to even care about him? But a little voice in the back of his head told him that Kaeya would be pleased to see him worry.

He squashed that thought down down and down until it felt like nothing but a faint memory, pulsing against his skull.

"Jean! What happened?" Diluc spied the Grand Acting Master a distance away, ushing people in medical tents in crutches and wheelchairs. "I heard something about a dragon-?"

"Stormterror. We have no idea why, or how he's here," Jean's eyebrow was furrowed in worry. "That'll need further discussion after the cleanup."

"Are any of the Knights-?"

"A few were injured, but nothing that serious. Swan is in the back with minor head trauma, Woods has a broken arm, and Kaeya- I think a few stitches ripped from...earlier. He's in the tent over at the far back-"

With that, Diluc paced away from Jean and lifted the edge of the white tent, hoping that actually seeing him alive will calm his racing heart.

But all he saw was Kaeya, his head against another man. His hands were touching his face gently, muttering a name under his breath that sounded like "Dirack." The mysterious man patted the Knight's head awkwardly and stiffly, which struck Diluc as rather odd but still nevertheless infuriated him. A strange sensation swallowed him whole, and never had he experienced this kind of hatred for any person, any man, the desire to see him gone. He saw red in his vision and crumbled the fabric of his shirt in his fists. Already his mind was beginning to wander, coming up with specific plans...plans that will work if he personally sees it done.

His imagination was limitless.

"Diluc! Why'd you run off like that?" Jean huffed, rushing up to him. He quickly dropped the curtain. Jean, who was catching her breath, didn't seem to notice.

"Now that you're here, it'll be great if you can do some post-disaster clean-ups with the rest of the Knights. You know I wouldn't ask you unless I really ne-"

"I feel like you should set up more superintendences for the injured," Diluc blunted out suddenly. "Especially for...the tents in the back. Perhaps make a complaint to the cathedral for me later?"

"Wha- what's this coming from?" Jean frowned. "As if we don't have enough to do! Barbara is with Woods, Swan is resting in the other tent, and Kaeya is getting the best care from our top healers--"