Stray

"She finally warmed up to you," I whispered to your ear before taking the spot beside you. I pointed out to my cat cozily sleeping on your lap as you lifted up your gaze on me.

You once told me that I am like her.

I remembered how I got her. She was too little back then. Too little, too dirty, and too shy all at the same time.

I found her wandering the streets one day and instantly adored her blue eyes. I tried giving her some water and even when I succeeded taking her home, she won't let me touch her. She won't let anyone near her.

It took days before I completely cleaned her up. The more I am eager to shower her with warmth and affection, the more she cowers and shy away from me.

"We were very patient with her," you calmly replied, pulling me out of my reverie. "She needed all the time and we gave it to her. It's worth it."

I take you in as you caress her fur and she purred in return.

You told me I am like her. Today, I continue to be like who she was. Still needing all the time before I finally warm up to you. And you continue to be patient with me, after all those years...

"Your patience, with us, is exceptional... with me," I whispered a few moments later, my heart wildly pounding in my chest.

Until this day, I still don't know how to take your warmth as much as I cannot fathom how you are still here. Waiting for me. Patient with me. Doing everything at my slow phase. Knowing I cannot handle everything at once because I am still healing over the things that made me this way.

You reached for my loose hair on my temple and tucked it behind my ear. Instead of flinching like I mostly do, I heedlessly moved my head towards your hand, resting my cheek on your palm.

"It's you who taught me patience. My intent doesn't lie there after the long wait, instead I'd be beside you, walking with you on your way there," you slowly uttered, staring deep into my eyes and letting me feel the sincerity between your words.

You withdrawn your hand from me and we both smiled tenderly when my cat started yawning as she awaken from her nap.

She was once like me. Soon, I will be like her.