Chapter 4: Isa-Belle

"So, um, I have to go with my friends," I said. "To Fayan, I mean. Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?!" The woman stopped her quick steps and glared at me, her golden eyes piercing.

I froze. She was seriously scaring me.

"Why didn't you tell me that sooner?!" the woman hissed at me. "Tomorrow I have to take a soldier and his family to the army, from here. I'm busy, girl!"

"W-wait, I have an idea," I said.

"What?"

"What if you took me to the army with that soldier? It's already getting late and it's probably better if we don't travel by night... I know this area better than you and there are many street gangs around here. We could all wait until tomorrow, right?"

"For such an average teenager, the head on your shoulders ain't that bad. Let's see..." she mused. "Alright! We'll go with that."

I breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'll take you to the soldier's house. I'm sure he wouldn't mind." The corners of the woman's lips twitched, her hickory-brown skin stretching as they formed a crooked grin.

The scars on her face scared me. They looked like scars of being burnt, one on the left and one on the right.

She continued walking. I had to run to catch up.

"And for your reference," she said, surprising me, "yes, you may know the area better. But I can take care of a mere street gang, no matter how good they are. I ain't chosen to be a prima del primo for nothing."

"A... what?" I asked.

She shrugged, turning to glance at me. "You'll find out in due time, girl."

We kept walking, until I realized something vital.

"What even is your name? And who are you?" I said.

"Does it matter?"

"Um, well..."

"Who are you, then?"

"Isa-Belle Sinany."

"Well then, Isa-Belle. Let's go."

"But... but... you haven't told me your name!" I said.

"So?" The woman shrugged. "You'll find out in due time."

***

When I arrived at the soldier's home, I was out of breath.

Why did this place look so familiar?

"Who is this girl?" the soldier's wife said to the woman.

"What does it matter to you?" the woman asked.

"Apologies, Your Highness."

"Highness?" I gasped.

The woman shrugged. "Where's the fighter?"

"Here." A soldier walked out of the house.

"And you," the soldier's wife said to me. "You're Inexa's friend! Oh, goody goody. You will sleep in this sleeping bag on the floor. We're very sorry for such an unpleasant experience..."

"I hope you ladies can handle this kind of life," the soldier sneered.

"Would you like to go on probation, soldier?" The woman raised her red eyebrows.

The soldier's face paled. "No, Prima. I apologize."

***

I was hungry and cold. It was three fifteen in the morning, and I haven't eaten anything in ten hours. The sleeping bag was so thin, and the temperature suddenly dropped a few degrees.

I shivered. Five hours later, we would need to leave the house, but I was not even close to feeling rested.

Just then, a girl walked out into the living room.

NEXI?!

She stared at me, and I stared at her.

"Ibe?" she whisper-shouted. "What are you doing here?"
"Nexi?" I exclaimed, aghast.

"Shhh." She put a finger in front of her mouth. "Don't be loud."

"Sit here!" I exclaimed, pointing at the side of the sleeping bag.

"Okay." She did.

"I hate to ask you this... but why is your father so... mean?"

Nexi looked uncomfortable. "He's always like that. Sorry, Ibe... I hope he didn't say anything weird."

"Not really," I replied.

"Anyway, I have to sleep now. Can't look like a panda in front of the CCSPGs, eh?"

"The what?"

"CCSPGs! Commanders, captains, soldiers, and generals! I'll tell you more on the road tomorrow. Night!"

"Night." I sighed.

Nexi left, and I tried to sleep.