Chapter 11: Eina

We waited for a while and watched as food was handed out by three people-- Ardis, Raven, and an old man with fading black hair and pale brown eyes.

"Hello," he said kindly. "You must be the reinforcements our Prima has brought in."

"Err, yes," Ibe replied.

"Um..." I said. "Sorry but... who are you?"

"Oh, I'm the caretaker of the military children, Aiko Lin," he said with a friendly smile. "I hope you can settle in here, Miss Hugwell, Miss Sinany, Young Mistress Dicaminchi."

"Thanks," Ibe said.

"You are welcome, Miss Sinany." Aiko frowned at the empty seats. "Who is missing?"

"It's..." Zaina counted. "Kody and Fletcher. Plus Ardis and Raven are still in the kitchen."

Aiko sighed. "Then, let us wait."

He sat next to Rochelle.

"Um, do we just sit and wait?" I whispered to Nexi and Ibe.

"I guess?" Ibe said.

In a moment, Ardis and Raven left the kitchen and sat, Ardis on the left of Tamara and Raven on his left.

Kody and Fletcher were still gone.

We waited and waited, and I saw the steam on the dishes gradually thin. Oh no. The food was cooling!

I pointed this out to Nexi.

She shrugged. "Can't do much about that."

I leaned across her and poked Ibe. "Ibee! The food!"

Almost everyone looked at us.

Ibe's cheeks flamed red.

"Ah, will someone go and look for Young Master Zhoner and Young Master Tamuro?" Aiko said.

I blushed too now.

This was so embarrassing.

"I-I'll go," Raven said tentatively.

"Of course, go on," Aiko nodded.

Raven stood and pushed her chair in. Her cheeks were flushed as she left.

"Um... Aiko?" Ibe said.

He looked at her. "Yes, Miss Sinany?"

"Will we learn to fight?"

A few people sniggered.

"Of course, Miss Sinany, you have training every day," Aiko said kindly.

"O-oh, oka - "

"Um... then what about weekends?" I asked, realizing what he said.

"Well, that..."

"Weekends don't exist here, idiot," West snickered.

"What?!" I screeched. "So there's only Monday to Friday here?!"

"Ugh!"

"You're so dumb," Alyssa sneered.

I flushed red, realizing that was true, at least in part, which made me very embarrassed as almost everyone laughed at me. The few exceptions included Ibe and Nexi, of course, and I was so glad they hadn't become like this bunch of mean people.

"Enough," someone said, icy voice ringing in the hall of laughter.

I looked and saw Ardis. Surprise filled me.