Chapter 7.5: Lem in the Truck

"I can't do it, Lem," she whispered.

"What? But - but - Lena, you can't just - you can't just leave! You promised me we'd stick together forever!" I gasped.

"Well, maybe I'm not a genetically mutated military-loving freak like you! Maybe I'm just a normal girl who wants this war to be over!"

I froze. "Y-you - Lena, y-you think I'm a freak too n-now?"

Her honey-brown eyes widened. "No, I - Lem - yes!"

What?

"You've become a monster, Lem." There was an ugly look on my sister's face.

This wasn't what she said to me that day.

"You've ruined my life."

Who was this imposter?!

"Now I'll ruin yours."

Her hands turned into knives, and she drove them at me.

This isn't real.

She stabbed me at least a million times, screaming profanities.

No.

My sister did not swear.

This wasn't her!

"Vka, Lem!" (Die, Lem!)

The scene faded away, and my parents stood over me.

"You killed us, Lem," Mom said, her voice whispery and cold.

I backed away, shaking. "No, Mom - I-I didn't!"

"Stop lying, fvik xina M an!" Father slapped my cheek. (Stop lying, you little liar!)

I fell to the floor, knees skinned, hands shaking, tears falling.

"You killed us," Mother repeated.

"Fvik vresin M an!" Father shouted. (You ****ing liar!) 

Kicks and punches were starting to be thrown at me, an endless torrent of abuse.

"Vena gieno no vo," I sobbed. (Please  let me go.)

They ignored my pleas.

Their eyes were growing empty and dark as each hit became increasingly violent. But their words hurt more.

"Fvik vresin Si an, you killed us!"  (You ****ing twit, you killed us!)

"You took your own parents' lives! Vresin M an!"  (You took your own parents' lives! ****ing liar!)

"Vka! You don't deserve to live!" (Die! You don't deserve to live!"

"You are the lowest of ta Si an!" (You are the lowest of the bad guys!)

"Why don't you just die?!"

"You killed your own sister!"

"I-I didn't!" I cried.

"Vresin M an!" ****ing liar!)

I gasped as water flooded into the place.

Mother and Father spluttered as the water rushed high over their heads, and we began to drown.

"Hey, wake up," I heard an unfamiliar voice say.

I gasped as something plunged me out of the nightmare. Automatically, my hand grasped the hilt of my sword and thrust it forwards.

There was a gasp, and I saw Soldier Dicaminchi's daughter. She backed away, fear etched deeply across her small face.

I blinked, feeling my eyes widening slightly. I lowered the sword, keeping emotion from my expression. "I could have killed you."
"I'm sorry," she gasped. "I was told to wake you. You've got to drive now."

I nodded, not trusting my voice to speak, and got out of the car, getting back in the driver's seat.

When I was sure everyone was in the car, I pressed on the accelerator, and we took off.