Cell Phone Novel Writing Style

Cell phone novels are designed to be written read on cell phone screens and screensizes, regardless whether a writer chooses to write on a computer or a mobile device. The concept triggers the combination of poetry and narration, forming short bite sized chapters utilizing white space, line breaks, fragments, poetic devices and concentrated sensory, emotional or dialogue content, many cliffhangers, that capitalizes on actual real life rapid fire happenings and lack of ability to process information in perfect clarity. Each chapter is less than 200 words and averages around 50-100.

The style creates boundaries which actually opens doors to imagination and creativity within a box; it encourages young writers to think deeply on choosing the perfect diction and layout, to think outside the box and deliver the maximum potency in between the lines and in minimalism and the omission of detail. It also encourages a haiku-style sentimental art form and a return to art, careful visual structure, that actually easily allows writers to sound much more sophisticated and literary beyond their age by creating a hyper sensitivity, heightened perception, crystalization of tiny moments in life (or fictional life), because of the sparse form. Cell phone novels are about the empowering of writers to become hyper aware, in control, and carefully design the impact on the reader achieved in every chapter, line, space, word, and yet, simultaneously, allowing the writer to follow the dynamics and flow as the story calls for.

It encourages the return to literature and poetry in general, despite content being intimately connected with pop and youth culture. It is a bridge between the old and the new, even hearkening back to ancient Greek poetry and narrative poetry or plays through the ages, up to the verse novels of today. By bringing this onto a technological and social platform, it is widespread and easily accessible by youth worldwide. It is like having the best of all worlds in writing and reading experience.

Because of social media, serialization technology, community and reader interaction, cell phone youth culture, like in Japan, the experience is made fresh. Writing or reading in small chapter snippets in between classes, during commutes, in bed and whenever an idea strikes or there is even a minute, encourages a whole new way of looking at reading and writing. A single chapter may capture so much in just a few words and may leave a lasting impression after just a minute.

For more information on how to write a Cell Phone Novel, check out our Cell Phone Novel: A Guide book!