NYC, 1

The one good thing about New York City, Regulus thought, was the high abundance of hot, gay men. He didn't always search out a hookup, but when he did, Grindr never seemed to disappoint him. The chances of finding a guy who was actually decent to him was relatively low, but a good hookup was a good hookup and he wasn't really looking for anything else.

"You have your location on?" Remus, his best friend, asked him from where he sat on the couch of their tiny, over priced apartment.

Regulus glanced at himself once more and tried to clean up the smudge of eyeliner he'd put below his lower lashes. "Yes, Re. You gonna eat dinner? I think there is still a serving of rice casserole in the fridge."

"Yes, Reg" Remus smiled as he mocked his friend.

"I'm just looking out for you."

"And I'm trying to make sure you don't get murdered by a middle aged, white, racist, homophobic prick who is trying to lure you to your death."

"That is so specific," Regulus began to tug his dress shoes on. "Besides, we're meeting at an expensive restaurant, not some grimy bar around the corner of his house."

"Do you even like sushi?"

Regulus tugged on his second shoe and began collecting his keys, "I like pretty boys with money who want to fuck me."

"Oh, I know," Remus watched Regulus walk to the door after doing one last once over of his outfit. "You look good, Reg. You always look good, so go, but be safe, yeah?"

"Of course," Regulus back tracked and ruffled Remus' hair before finally opening the door, "eat something!"

Remus waved over his back and continued to watch his true crime documentary.

rem

Eventually, Remus dragged himself from the couch and his electric blanket. He padded through the kitchen and poured himself a glass of water before tugging open the refrigerator door. Right in the center of the shelf at eye level was a perfectly packed up serving of the tuna and rice casserole Regulus had made a few nights ago. He took it from the shelf and examined its contents before quickly setting it back down and pushing it aside so he could reach the iced black tea behind it; he pulled the jug and filled a glass with it before grabbing a banana and settling back in on the couch.

reg

It was two minutes till 9 when Regulus finally made it to the sushi place where he was meeting up with Jamie, but he didn't see his date sitting anywhere. He took a seat at the bar and ordered a cocktail and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

It was quarter to 10 and Regulus had finished three martinis and still his date was no where to be seen. When Regulus was about to order his fourth, the bartender approached him with a drink. "From that guy," she pointed down the bar. "He wants to know if he can come sit by you but he doesn't want to make you feel uncomfortable."

Regulus waved at the man who sent him a drink and proceeded to wave him over. "Hi," Regulus said when the gorgeous man sat down next to him, "I'm Reg."

"Eran," he put his hand out and Regulus shook it.

"You look really familiar." They said in tandem and then the both laughed.

"But really," Eran continued, "do I know you?"

Regulus shook his head and took a sip of the drink Eran had purchased for him. "I am certain that I would have remembered meeting some one as gorgeous as you."

"Stop," he waved his hand at Regulus and laughed, "stop, you're the beautiful one."

"That is probably true," Regulus flipped his hair over his shoulder and laughed more but blushed hard when he looked back and saw Eran watching him intently, appreciatively. "Look, you should know that I have my location on and my roommate is watching out for me."

Eran's eyes went wide, "shit, Reg, I am so sorry if I made you uncomfortable. You're just so beautiful that I really cannot process it. Like my best friend thinks he's the prettiest person on the planet, but obviously he's never met you. Oops, did I make it weird? I should go, yeah? Have a great rest of your night" Eran stood from the barstool and began to make his way towards the door, but Regulus grabbed his arm before he could make it too far away.

"Eran, do you want to take me home?"

As soon as Regulus asked, Eran's face broke out in a brilliant grin, "I would absolutely love to take you home."

Regulus downed his drink, stood, and was quickly being pulled out of the bar by Eran and giggling down the street to Eran's hotel room.

After a nice night together, Regulus texted Remus to assure him that he was okay and that he would be spending the night.

The next morning, they ordered room service and had genuinely decent conversation.

"Mhmm," Regulus nodded and took another bite of the croissant, "yeah, seeing Alex Landi on Grey's Anatomy was actually huge for me. Like I know there have been other Asian characters on the show and there is some Asian rep like in pop culture, but when his character came out as gay, I screeched. Like my roommate thought I was injured because I was so out of my mind."

"That is really cool." Eran smiled and nodded, "have you seen Dear White People?"

Regulus shook his head as he sipped on his mimosa, "no, is it good?"

"One of the best portrayals of what I feel like as a black man in the gay community. Like so much of what Lionel experienced really resonated with me."

"I'll have to watch it."

"Definitely, it's on Netflix. And I'm not saying that one or two or three good pieces of representation is enough, because it's really not, but it's a good start."

"Cheers to that," Regulus tipped his champagne flute towards Eran's and they cheers'd, "and to two amazing gay men of color having a great night together and a great morning."

"I feel like I'm on the bachelor," Eran laughed and nudged Regulus' shoulder with his own.

Regulus made a disgusted face, "please never associate me with that heteronormative, fat shaming fandom, ever."

Eran laughed more and wiped at his eyes, "sorry, sorry," he continued to laugh, "when you say it like that it sounds kind of like I'll get to see you again?"

"Possibly," Regulus nodded, "do you live here? I guess I was assuming that you don't just because we're in a hotel right now."

"I travel for work, I'm a musician, actually."

"Ah, great, a musician," Regulus chuckled, "well, I can at least give you my number and you should call me when you're in town again."

Eran grabbed his phone from where it was lying on the floor next to him and handed it to Regulus before standing.

When Regulus had finished typing his number in and taking a selfie for his contact, he looked up to see Eran hovering awkwardly holding a sweatshirt. "It's raining you have to take it," he said in one quick blurt.

Regulus stood as he chuckled at Eran's awkwardness, ""okay, Eran, I will." He took the sweatshirt and pulled it over his head. "Thank you for a great night." He pulled the other man in for a hug. and headed for the door. "Good luck with your music."

With a smile on his face, Regulus left the hotel and got an Uber back to his and Remus'. He couldn't wait to share all the details with his best friend.