Chapter 10

Okay guys, finally an update. I haven't updated this in a while but I finally buckled down and just poured my soul out. This has got some pretty interesting themes towards the end, but I am sad to say that the beginning is mainly just a filler on everything (description, Amity, blah blah blah). I thought it was my authorly duty to tell the story as if you've never read it before so i re-explained Amity and kind of put a twist on things, but a good twist. Enough of my long boring authors notes, just read:

PART TWO

The cold night breeze whispered across my skin as I sat on the train with my feet dangling out the door. Tris had fallen asleep during the ride and Jackson was quietly discussing 'Important Matters' with Tobias. My father sat in the corner, where he belonged, and Caleb stared intently at his feet. I watched the crest of the moon in the sky, taking deep breaths and releasing long exhales. Delicate fragrances of freshly turned over soils and wisps of oil from the train's engine infiltrated my senses, and I knew we were nearing the Amity farms. I was anxious to get off the train, yet nervous as to what was to expect from such a peaceful place. It seemed so superficial when I passed by it on occasion, yet that was very rare. Once, maybe twice a year, my mother and I would go walking around the city. We would just walk around, and she'd point out all the main headquarters to all the factions, and she took me to the bean, and she'd take me everywhere. It was liberating to be away from my home, even from Bass, just for one day. Sometimes you just needed a break from life. If only I could take one now.

Up ahead in the distance, a shimmering light rapidly grew closer and closer. It was the Amity HQ. The fields here were thick with corn crops and they stretched for miles and miles.

"Let's go. I think everyone's jumped off a train today, so you can do so again." I deadpanned. I checked one more time outside the train cart, with a few rustling noises behind me, taking a small running start to gain some momentum, then leaped forward.

I felt suspended in the air for a moment, that one moment full of exhilaration, then bent my knees slightly instead of locking them to prevent hurting myself. I landed steadily, took a few moments to catch my breath, then walked towards the building. I heard the others trailing behind me but I just focus on getting into this building. Right then, it was the only safe place that I could provide for everyone.

Defend. Protect.

"Everyone make it safe?" I asked without looking back. I heard a chorus of monotone 'Yes' s and continued to walk on. Suddenly, a figure came bursting through the door. I froze in my tracks and before I knew it, my gun was in my hands, poised to kill whoever posed a threat. I looked around, trying to find the unidentified person, my eyes wide and alert.

"Who are you?" I yelled into the darkness.

As the figure stepped closer into the circle of light, a woman, probably in her thirties, with long dark hair and wearing clothes that were very natural and earthy colors. Her hands were raised above her head in an act of surrender.

"My name is Johanna Reyes!" she said. "I am the leader of Amity! I mean you no harm!"

She took a few steps closer to me, and the gun in my hand lowered slightly. "Please put your gun away."

I nodded solemnly and tucked it into my waistband.

"Johanna?" I heard from behind me.

The woman, Johanna, gasped. "Marcus?"

They ran towards each other and collided in an embrace. It was weird to stand by. It took all my strength not to yell at them.

"Did anyone else make it out?" Johanna questioned.