Chapter 12

Hola guys. New chapter. Hope you like it :) Probably a longish authors note after this so stay tuned :)

I headed in for a nap, exhausted from the intense workout that had drained my body. Jackson was right behind me, though I wasn't sure why he was so tired. He barely did anything.

Well, okay, he did. He basically did the whole circuit with me. Yet he didn't do the pushes. Still, the workout, even without the push ups, was pretty rigorous.

Just as I reached the door and stepped inside our room, I took the gun from the pile of clothes and made a point to stash it underneath the mattress of my bed. Jackson saw what I was doing and nodded his head, approving of the decision. Just as I turned my head, Jackson had just began to say, "Carter, about last night—"

A yell from the hallway made me whip my head around. I rushed out toward the sound and found Peter and Tris fighting in the hallway. I gasped and ran toward them. "What the hell?" I shouted.

Tris threw a punch to a brown haired boy's gut and he took it directly, grunting in the process. After a brief pause in the fight, Tris was prepared to throw another punch but the boy was quicker. He deflected her shot and punched her right in the face. Blood began spurting from her nose, and she doubled over.

Why the fuck would some random guy want to beat up Tris?

"You asshole!" I yelled and attacked. Jackson protested behind me but I was already advancing. I instantly punched him in the face, and he swung around, his body facing away from me. I took the opportunity and kicked him in the ass, causing him to fall forward and onto the ground. He coughed and sputtered, "Bitch."

I breathed heavily and looked down at my knuckle which throbbed. The knuckles were split and already turning a beautiful and sickly shade of purple-blue. I rubbed them, as if that would do any good, but they just stung even more. When I turned around, of course, Johanna, Marcus, other amity guards and my brother gawked at me, dumbfounded. I took a deep breath and looked down at my shoes, over thinking what I had just done. I just broke the rules we were living under. I looked back up.

"What happened?" my brother asked. He saw Tris and instantly went to her side. Her nose was still bleeding and her eye was turning blue. I guess they were jostling before I had arrived.

"I heard a shout. I saw this little shit punch her in the face. So I attacked. I was defending my friend from an asshole."

"She punched me first!" the guy wailed, pointing to Tris.

I just glared at random guy. "Do you want me to punch you again?" I threatened. I stomped forward toward him.

"Catherine!" Johanna snapped. Two pairs of hands grabbed at me to hold me back before I could damage the petty little pipsqueak even more. I struggled against their grip yet knew it was no use. They turned me around so I faced Johanna and my father.
"You broke the Amity laws. The consequence will be applied accordingly. Hopefully this will teach you not to break them again." She warned. "Tris, you as well, please go with Carter. And don't try fighting or running. Peter..." she trailed off. "I don't know. Go take a walk."

So that was his name. Peter.

The guards led me down the hall, and I looked back.

"Why does he not have to be punished?" I asked Johanna.

"Because that's a part of your punishment." She replied before we turned the corner.

I furrowed my eyebrows. What? Part of my punishment?

Wait. Oh. She knew that Peter not being punished would annoy the hell out of me. For an Amity, she's pretty damned smart.

"How do you know Peter?" I asked Tris.