Chapter 13

Hey guys. Um, so this is the last chapter of Brick by Brick. Next one's gonna be up soon, I actually already have the title: Ashes to Ashes. So yeah, um hope you guys like this chapther cause *wink wink* lots of fun stuff happens. Anyway you'll hopefully love it. And probably hate. You'll see what i mean. EVIL AUTHOR LAUGH!!

Chapter 13

I woke up and instantly my body ached, and I let out a low moan. I heard rustling in the background, yet it was distant, like the voices were speaking through water. Rumbled and mushed. I touched a hand to my forehead and found it was bandaged. Then I remembered what had happened. Eric had beaten me up.

Wait. If Eric beat me up... Where was I?

I gasped as I sat up, opening my eyes wide. I looked around, expecting to see the four walls of my cell, but seeing...the four walls of a train. Then finally, it comes back to me, the rickety feeling of the train teetering over the tracks. Three people come into view: my brother, Tris and Jackson. What happened?

With the racketing of the train, the sitting up so fast, I felt the acid rising up the back of my throat. I looked around and grasped the first thing I saw, a red bag, emptied its contents-oh look, there were my guns!-and heaved into the bag.

The sound of my heaving must've caught their attention because I felt a hand on my back, murmuring it's okay. It wasn't Jackson, as I presumed. It was Bass. I needed my brother right now. I almost sobbed with relief. I haven't talked to him for so long, just one on one.

Well, okay, I talked to him yesterday, but it felt like an eternity ago.

Once I felt like I was fit for talking, I let go of the bag and sat up. Bass's hand was still on my back, rubbing up and down, and he wrapped his arms around me. I felt so grateful for him. No matter what, we always had each other's backs. Literally.

"What happened?" I mumbled. He pulled away from the hug and we sat back against the cold wall of the train. Jackson and Tris were discussing quietly in the other corner parallel to ours, Jackson's eyes flicking to mine every few seconds. Tris whispered something, then burst out into laughter. Bass lightly smiled at her then turned to me.

"After Eric beat you up, he started searching the room for us. He left you there on the floor, bleeding, guarded only by Max and Peter. So we'd thought that we'd try to make a run for it. We were right near the exit door anyway, and Johanna had taken all our weapons and snuck them back to us during the commotion. Jackson fended off Max and Peter, grabbed you, and I shot Eric in the leg-" I high five him for that "-and we ran for the train." He explained. It was a lot to take in, but really all that mattered was that we were all safe.

"Where are we going now? We have nowhere." I argued.
"We have a plan." Tris barged in, seeing that our conversation was over. We all stood up, ready to get to business. "We didn't test our chances with going back to Abnegation or Dauntless, of course not with Erudite, and since we'd just fled Amity, we aren't going back until we're sure it's safe. Same with Candor. We have no intel on what side they're on. So..." Tris gestures to my brother.
"I know a few people inside Factionless. People I can...somewhat trust." His face turned bitter.

"What do you mean by somewhat? You trust or you don't." I snapped. We couldn't just walk into Factionless without knowing if it were a threat or not. I did not feel like getting beat up again.

"You'll see." Bass deadpanned. End of conversation.

He looked out the door, his face lit by the now rising sun. Jackson stood there silently, his arms crossed, his eyes looking everywhere but focusing on nothing. When his eyes met mine, he smiled and walked over to me.
"Lucky I saved your ass back there," he whispered.