four: the leaky cauldron

The air condition welcomed Autumn as she stepped into the Leaky Cauldron, eyes scanning the crowded pub for her group of friends. The room reeked of butterbeer and fried foods, causing her stomach to rumble in hunger.

Her eyes eventually landed on a booth in the back which housed Draco Malfoy, Theo Nott, Blaise Zabini, Pansy Parkinson, and Luna Lovegood.

A smile made its way onto her face as she made her way over to her band of misfit friends.

"Jesus, it's blistering outside." She said, shrugging off her cardigan and discarding it on the leather booth.

"No shit, especially when you wear long sleeves." Blaise snickered, taking a drink of his beverage. Luna cuddled into his side with a warm smile on her face, softly laughing at her idiotic boyfriend.

"I thought it might be chilly out later so fuck off," She defended, crossing her arms over her chest.

Draco got up from beside Theo and engulfed her in a hug. "It's about bloody time you're here. I feel like we haven't seen you in forever."

He pulled her down next to him, squishing her between him and Theo.

"I was beginning to think I was going to have to spend the rest of the night alone with him," Theo remarked, wrapping his arm around the girl and kissing her forehead.

Autumn had met the Slytherins one fateful afternoon in her sixth year. McGonagall had assigned her the quartet after they had failed their two previous tests in multiple classes.

At first their meetings were filled with awkward encounters, snide remarks, and quiet studying, but that all changed after Autumn failed to maintain her laughter at a well timed jab towards Theo given by Pansy.

After that the Slytherin quartet began to view her in a different light, quickly welcoming her with open arms. Their friendship was one of the only ones she carried throughout her schooling.

And even after, despite the two-year age gap between Autumn and her friends, they never lost touch after she graduated Hogwarts. Even throughout the war, they all managed to stay in touch and keep their connection strong.

She was even the sole person who Draco confided in when his family forced him into the life of a Death Eater. She was the reason he still found good in himself and eventually played double agent for the Order.

Perhaps that's why she and Draco were the closest out of her little group- they needed each other the most.

Although the story of her and Draco was similar to the story of her relationship with the rest of her Slytherin friends, she and Draco had a bond that went beyond friendship. It was as if they were family.

"Aw, then who would hold Pansy's hair back for her when you two inevitably get her shitfaced?" Autumn said with a smirk.

"Hey!" Pansy called out in defense, furrowing her brows and pouting.

"Oh please, you know it's true. Theo buys you drinks like he's trying to get into your knickers," Autumn rebutted, poking the girl's side.

Pansy flushed pink at her comment, stuttering her denials, "He does not! Stop it."

Pansy always had quiet the crush on Theo, and although it was obvious from the constant showering of gifts she received from him that he returned her feelings, both were blinded to the other's yearning.

Autumn loved to poke fun at them so she continued with her pestering, "Oh really? So who bought you that drink then?"

Both Theo and Pansy turned a brighter shade of pink at this observation and grumbled a slew of curses at her under their breath.