seven: a deep and personal bond

Autumn had been working for the Weasley's for a little over two months now, and she's loved every minute of it.

Well, almost every minute. She could've gone without Fred's constant attacks, but hey! You can't always get what you want.

Much to her surprise though, Fred had backed off ever since that night at the pub a month ago. He's even, dare she say, become her friend and she loves it.

They had developed a nightly routine: Fred emerging from wherever he'd been that day to help Autumn with her end-of-day duties- whether that be potion making or house cleaning, he didn't care.

He just wanted to be with her.

They'd grown... close, you could say, although you'd have to use the term extremely loosely considering they still knew nothing of actual substance about each other.

Fred tried his damndest (well not really, it's been well established the man is nothing short of a pussy when it comes to the caregiver) to develop a deep and personal bond with the girl, but she seems closed off.

If he thought he had difficulty being vulnerable, he was unprepared for the feat that would be Autumn Rogers.

However, part of him knew he shouldn't expect anything else. He had been a foul git to her for about a month straight, and he still hadn't even apologized for it. Why would he expect her to welcome him in with open arms, ready to share her deepest darkest secrets?

Plus Fred didn't care. He didn't care. He didn't care. He didn't care.

He just had to keep telling himself that.

Just like he had to keep telling himself that he didn't care about that god-awful night at the pub a month ago.

George had said he handled it but from the summary he gave Fred, he concluded that his brother had done jack shit to put it nicely.

George and Lee had apparated to Autumn's house to comfort her that night after everyone departed their separate ways.

However, much to their surprise, she refused to talk about it. She kept playing it off as if nothing had happened, and actually, according to George, gotten a bit angry at them for insinuating her boyfriend had done anything wrong.

Fred rolled his eyes for three reasons.

1. George was a pussy who hadn't done shit to help the situation. He simply acquired gossip and left her to her own devices.

2. Boyfriend. A month later and it still sounded wrong.

3. George was an idiot. What had he expected? He went and ambushed the girl mere hours after being publicly humiliated by her boyfriend.

Everyone knew, including Autumn, what had happened and how utterly wrong it was, but putting her on the spot like that in an attempt to help was the entirely wrong thing to do.

Even Fred knew that.

Autumn felt embarrassed and judged and so so ashamed. She was attempting to save face with people she loved and respected.

Why had George thought she'd react any other way?

So now here Fred is, a month later and still struggling to keep the million-dollar question from rolling off his tongue.

Why was she even with him?

Any time Radley was around her, you could bet your galleons that he'd make comments boarding anywhere from snide to downright abusive.