Shall I stay? (Would It Be A Sin?)

LmFaO elvis title yee yee

also this fanfic is literally unintentional foreshadowing you'll see what i mean. unedited so please let me know of any spelling/punctuation/grammar/etc. mistakes. feel free to request. no smut please. love you! enjoy~

      Steve pushes back the heavy canvas covering of the green-grey medical barracks back at base camp, stepping into the emptiness of the tent. He walks across the room and pulls up a chair next to the cot he knows Bucky is resting on. He grabs Bucky's hand and winces at his warmth. Bucky stirs and turns around to face Steve. Steve gives him a soft smile; Bucky returns it.

     "Are you feeling any better?" Steve asks quietly. Bucky shakes his head.

     "Worse," Bucky says.

     "I'm sorry, Buck." Steve says. He brushes his fingers through Bucky's hair. "When did you leave the bar?"

     "After you and Stark were talkin' about the shield prototypes and shit,'' Bucky mumbles. "Just felt woozy, is all. I only had the drink I had with you so I really just wanted to come back here. I threw up three times on the way, though."

     There's a beat of silence. "Did you walk?"

     "I wasn't gonna tell you," Bucky chuckles lightly. "You can't get mad after, y'know, doing some experiment and then joinin' the army. Oh and everything from when we were kids."

     Steve rolls his eyes. "I would have walked with you. Or driven you. That would've been good." Bucky smiles.

     "Yeah, whatever, kid." He shivers subtly. "Can you come up here with me?" Bucky asks.

     "If someone catches us, Bucky, we'll get arrested."

     "Fuck them. I don't care. If they fire us, then it happens. I just," He pauses, looking Steve in the eye. "I need you. Please, Stevie?" Steve stares at Bucky for a minute. He nods and lies down next to Bucky. Steve pulls Bucky to his torso and runs his hands, that aren't so much like bird bones anymore, through Bucky's hair. He kisses the top of Bucky's head and pulls him impossibly closer. They sit in silence, only their breathing filling it. "If we keep sittin' in silence like this, and you don't stop your fingers in my hair, I'm gonna fall asleep. I don't want that; I missed you too much," Bucky murmurs, his words slurring together. Steve lets out a breathy laugh.

     "I mean, that's a little bit the goal here," he says. "You need to rest."

     "I love you, punk."

     "Love you more, jerk." Steve replies. He chuckles. "Remember when you found a note in your desk that said 'Get out of my school.'?" Steve asks. Bucky sighs with a laugh.

     "That was you?"

     "Yeah," Steve laughs. "I had a crush on you and I didn't know what to do about it, so that happened." A minute of quiet laughter fills the tent. They go on sharing their experiences of finding out how they'd fallen for each other, and Bucky tells Steve about him telling his sister. Their laughter dies down, and it's quiet again. "I can't wait any longer," Steve says, sitting up.

     "What?" Bucky asks, sitting up with him. They stay on the cot as Steve grabs Bucky's hands.

     He takes off his dog tags, then takes Bucky's off. He switches one of Bucky's to his, and one of his to Bucky's. Steve puts his dog tags around his neck. "James Barnes," Steve starts. "I think 13 years is a long enough wait. Will you marry me?" He's holding out Bucky's dog tags. The one hanging is Steve's, the one attached to the first chain is Bucky's. And it's swapped for Steve. Bucky takes it and puts it on.

     "Of course I will." Bucky smiles. "End of the line, remember?" He holds out his pinky for a pinky swear. Steve does the same, and they promise each other, not looking away, to stay together through everything. Bucky leans in, gently kissing Steve with what little energy he has left. He rests his head on Steve's shoulder, closing his eyes. Steve slowly lays back on the cot, kissing Bucky's head. Bucky turns around and presses his back to Steve's chest, wrapping the blonde's arms around his torso. Steve traces soft circles into Bucky's chest. "'M sorry if I have a nightmare,"

     "It's okay. I just want you to rest. I'll be here. Always." Steve says gently. After a few minutes, Bucky falls asleep. And Steve makes sure to keep Bucky safe. So, with a final "Goodnight," Steve falls asleep, too. And they're okay together. And they know that no matter what happens in their lives, they'll always see each other again.

-fin-