iv. call it intuition

TROUBLE
- CAGE THE ELEPHANT

TROUBLE - CAGE THE ELEPHANT

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━...‥・
FLASHBACK— KANDAHAR, 2014

"success here is a matter of perspective. it can't be measured in battles won or land claimed."

roslyn bryant was positioned between frank castle and billy russo, handpicked due to becoming such a high ranked navy corpsman. the offer was nearly rejected until her husband came into consideration. the only other option was to be transferred to another location, leaving behind the only familiar faces remaining in the war.

"i'm here to offer you freedom. to wage the war that must be waged to finally win this thing. what we will do is dirty and tough, but it will speed an end of this war and safeguard our nation." the agent stood across from the group of men and women chosen for the job. his words resulted in bored expression across their faces. "major schoonover."

"you were all handpicked 'cause you're the best at what you do. inner unit rivalry has no place here. berets, delta, seals, force recon— i don't give a shit." the man paced with his hands held behind his back, his gaze singling out roslyn for a fleeting moment. "this is who we are now. this is operation cerberus, and you are my dogs of war."

roslyn bryant cut her eyes towards major schoonover before they were flickering to find billy. there was a gleam of uncertainty in her gaze, one all too familiar to the russo man. it forced him to intertwine her hand in his, hoping the physical contact would ease the emotions stirring in the woman who never learned to hold her tongue.

"the enemy operates without regard to honor or rules. so neither will we." major schoonover was by agent orange's side once again, his hands remaining held tightly behind his back. "our mission is simple. we capture, we interrogate and execute high-value targets."

billy's eyes never once faltered from studying the side of roslyn's face, at least until his head was turning towards frank. "sounds like the phoenix program."

"do we have a problem with that, gentlemen?"

frank's gaze remained forward, not skipping a beat in his response. "not if congress doesn't."

"they're fine with it. i'm the only authority you will need." agent orange conjured a reassuring smile in face of the castle man in means to soothe any hesitation. "i point, you shoot."

a humorless laugh was tumbling from the lips of roslyn bryant before another could utter a sound. her eyes cut towards the man, features void of any emotion until her eyebrows furrowed. "and you've got proof congress has willingly chosen for you to decide who lives and dies?"