Training

Try to focus, let each other in.

Tiergan's words rang through Sophie's mind as she tried her best to get over what she knew was undoubtedly going to happen.

She took a breath.

Tiergans right you know you need to let me in, Fitz's mental voice whispered in her mind. 

Sophie cringed and tried not to think of the reason why so Fitz wouldn't see. She wasn't ready for him to know everything about her, every feeling she'd ever had, every idea she'd ever thought. Something inside her screamed at her that she had trusted him before. What was the difference now?

The difference was that Fitz had asked her out, and after only a week she had turned him down. The difference was that she had other secrets in her life now that he just couldn't know about.

Not yet.

But when?

"Why don't we try something else?" Sophie offered weakly. She watched as he let go of her hands and fell back in his chair, he pushed his hands through his hair.

"Sure," he huffed, "how about we move on to emotion reading?"

She inwardly groaned.

Emotion reading wasn't much less invasive than mind reading, plus that meant having to bring an empath to help and she wasn't sure much good would come from it.

"Alright," said, agreeing to try and ease the tension in the room.

Fitz stood up, "I'll go get Keefe."

Sophie's head whipped up.

"No wait-" but it was too late. Fitz had already left. She tried to reason with herself that this wouldn't go as badly as her rapidly beating heart was telling her.

All too quickly Fitz returned with Keefe. Sophie tried to keep from tugging on her eyelashes but she could see Keefe already felt her feelings on the matter as he gave her a knowing look.

"I would like it to be known that if it weren't for my irreplaceable talents in reading emotions I would have never agreed to go along with this!" Keefe announced. He grabbed one of the extra chairs and dragged it towards where Sophie was sitting.

Fitz rolled his eyes, "It's not like you were doing anything important Keefe."

Keefe placed his hands over his heart in mock hurt, "How dare you! I was doing very important things Fitzy."

Fitz raised an eyebrow but before he could respond Sophie decided to jump in.

"I'm sure you were Keefe, we just needed a little help."

"More like a truckload," Fitz muttered.

"Trouble in cognitive paradise?" Keefe joked though it sounded a little forced.

"We're just having some trouble with..." Sophie dropped off looking at her feet.

Fitz rolled his eyes, "She doesn't trust me with her secrets anymore, though she never did completely."

"Can you blame her? I wouldn't want everyone knowing my skeletons." Keefe said giving Sophie an encouraging smile.

Fitz rolled his eyes, "Of course you would side with her. You don't care about how important this is, we could be the most powerful cognates history has ever seen and nobody cares!"

"Foster seems to be doing pretty well on her own if you ask me," Keefe fired back.

Sophie stood up. "Okay, let's just get to the practice and then we can all go home and get some much-needed rest."