Initially Yours

She stared off into space watching the cars go by. The smog that clung to the air burned her throat, another reminder that she didn't belong. But the street was familiar and the sidewalk still had the crack she had tripped over when she was little. 

The house was dull, the old paint had started to chip and the lawn looked like it hadn't been cut in a while. The trees had grown a little taller and the neighbors across the street had moved away.

A familiar part of her ached and she was starting to wonder if that would ever go away. Would it always be this hard to think of her family? Would it always make her wish she could live in the past? 

Would she ever really feel like she was content with where she was, or would she just keep wishing for a life she would never have?

There always seemed to be this loneliness that followed her, no matter how she tried to reason with her heart to allow her peace. Her family was safe. Out of harm's way. 

And yet that wasn't enough.

She sighed into her hands, trying to get a handle on her emotions.

The air in front of her shimmered.

Keefe appeared, standing with his arm out and a blue crystal raised in his hand. His eyes were concerned until they landed on her.

Relief visibly washed over him and he walked towards her.

"Keefe?" she murmured in surprise. She hadn't been gone long, and while taking an escapade to a forbidden territory was not the most legal thing she had done in a while, she hadn't expected anyone to notice her momentary absence so quickly.

"Sophie!" he smiled, "I found you!"

His relief paused as he saw her obvious discomfort and he stopped walking. Glancing around he seemed to notice exactly where they were.

"Sophie, is this your old house?" he wondered aloud, concern mixed with curiosity behind his voice.

She gave him a shaky nod, "It was."

He must have heard the grief in her voice, or maybe he could feel it from across the yard.

"Do you want to be alone right now?" he asked, giving her space.

She shook her head and patted the spot next to her, inviting him to sit. He walked over and took a seat, looking around at the yard she grew up in full of weeds and dead grass.

"I swear it use to look more normal, more taken care of. I guess no one has lived here in a while." She stared at the ground wondering how no one could see the love that had been put into this home, then again, that might have been erased too.

She stood up, Keefe mirrored her action, and she sighed.

"I don't know why I came out here, I guess a part of me thought it might be comforting to see that it all still existed, sometimes it feels like this part of my life was a dream. Like it never really happened."

Keefe looked around as if trying to imagine her living here. Sophie figured it must be hard since everything was so overgrown and neglected.

"Are these your initials?" he asked, pointing to the sidewalk outside the fence.

Her eyes whipped up to find the location Keefe was referring to.

There it was, the last piece of evidence that her family existed.

Tears streamed down her face as she reached out to run her shaking fingers over the letters.

- E.F. + W.F. + S.F. + A.F -