Lighthouse

Working in a lighthouse had its perks, even if Sophie didn't want to admit it at times. The hours were long, the wind made it impossible to keep her hair looking tamed, and cleaning those tall glass windows was no easy task.

Still, every time she looked out onto the open sea and let the salty wind blow past her face she knew she could never work anywhere else. Mornings started by waking up before the sun and waiting for the perfect moment of sunlight to bring the end of the nightly spotlight. After that, Sophie usually found herself running errands, doing repairs, and keeping herself occupied with the many hobbies she had taken up over the years.

Most of the time, life was pretty simple for her. It was only the stormy nights that kept her mind sharp and ready with the memories of what could go wrong on this side of the job. The sea tended to be empty, warnings of the harsh weather keeping the sea goers from taking their daily fishing trips. Sometimes she watched out for the more experienced sailors that fought the storm head-on like an old friend, embracing the rough waters and harsh wind like a challenger they remembered defeating. It was those nights she stayed up with her cup of coffee, hoping she would never find herself witness to the sea's victories.

It was years before she noticed the little blue boat. She remembered most of the locals' boats, having seen them going in town every day, but she could never figure out who owned the boat that came out to her part of the ocean every Tuesday. When she did look out to the boat on those calm afternoons she would often question why the boat was there. Fishing boats often came daily, those who didn't were not locals and almost never came back. Sure there were day-trippers and vacationers but the little blue boat never seemed to have a purpose or direction. The owner never spent time on deck and she could never get a clear enough view through their windshield to figure anything out. After a while, she stopped looking and accepted defeat as she went on with her life and her mind let go of the little boat's curiosities.

It wasn't until a particularly windy February morning that she remembered that sky blue boat. She had been excited to wake up to the chill of the morning. With the cold weather, she got to bring out her favorite article of clothing: a proper heavy-duty wool peacoat. The kind you'd see detectives wearing in the movies. Sophie had gotten ready early enough that she decided to head into town for a nice cup of coffee before she needed to be at the lighthouse to prepare for the upcoming storm. The streets were small and made from weathered brick. The kind of place where people roamed the streets freely instead of cars since most lived nearby. Tourists always made a point to complain about the parking but the locals never budged. The shops were well kept aside from the paint the salty wind wore away at and the smell of fresh baked goods always filled the morning air from the local bakery. It really was a beautiful sort of place.

As she made her rounds she decided to stop by the flower shop to say hello.

"Sophie! Why do I never see you anymore? You never visit me," her friend sighed as she walked up to her counter. Living near an ocean always gave the flower shop the advantage of having some of the most unique flowers to offer their customers. Everywhere from floor to ceiling there were pinks and yellows and vivid whites that tourists couldn't get enough of.

"Biana, I come in at least three times a week if not more," Sophie giggled. Biana made some gestures that equated to sure you do and moved on to perfecting yet another bouquet.

"I get so lonely without you here, nothing ever happens in this town." She was arranging flowers for the town festival that was set for the upcoming weekend. Every year the locals celebrated Valentine's day in the town square and Biana's flowers were always the main attraction.

Sophie gave her an exasperated look, "What do you mean your lonely? You literally work with Lihn and Dex every day".

"Is Biana complaining about being lonely again?" Dex teased as he brought a big crate of vases into the room. Biana stuck her tongue out at him.