« Beginnings »

Chapter 1

Beginnings

On the 31st of July 1980, Lily and James Potter were blessed with twins, both boys. Miles Sirius Potter was their firstborn. His eyes were hazel, much like James's, though his hair was a light brown, making him an almost replica of his father, to such a point that James had even suggested naming the child James Fleamont Potter Jr., after him, though Lily objected against this, wanting Miles to be able to be his own person.

Their second child, Harry Regulus Potter, who upon first opening his eyes, startling green, much like his mother's, though Harry's appeared slightly brighter, simply stared around the room, at his parent's faces, and at his brother, who had begun to cry upon seeing the face of Albus Dumbledore, who had come to visit the Potters and their children. He had a similar facial structure to his father and brother, though the twins were fraternal.

However, Harry was a metamorphmagus, meaning that while for the most part, he resembled his father and brother, he didn't in a way. He was born with jet-black hair, this suggesting it to be his natural hair color until it promptly turned blond, and by early morning the next day, it was Slytherin green, this immensely troubling James, until the boy saw his father's face, laughed, and turned it back to black.

As the boys grew older, they instantly hit it off, playing with each other all the time. Lily and James were beyond proud of both of their sons, loving them equally. But when the news came that a certain dark wizard, by the name of Lord Voldemort was after one of the twins, they went into hiding. 

That left the Potters sitting at their dining table on Halloween of 1981, finishing off dinner when they got a message from Dumbledore asking them to meet. Lily and James agreed, assigning Peter, a close family friend as they knew him to be, to watch the children. He wasn't all too high on the scale bravery-wise, yet they believed that he was trustworthy under his cowardly manner. Besides, Sirius and Remus were on a mission for the Order anyway.

Peter was torn. In the beginning, he'd been on board with the idea when the Dark Lord had proposed it to him. He'd valued his life quite dearly, and besides, the Marauders had never been all too kind to him. In his mind, it seemed foolish to risk so much for them when he doubted they would for him. But on the other hand, he would have no one if he went along with this. Only the Death Eaters and they weren't exactly the friendly type. In the end, the burning of the Dark Mark on his arm decided it for him. The Dark Lord knew.

He shakily raised his hand and pressed his finger against the Mark. Almost instantly, he was staring back at the face of Voldemort. "Do you have what I require Wormtail?" he asked. 

"Y-yes sir, they're upstairs... in their cribs." 

With an impressive swish of his robes, he went towards the stairs and went up them, not bothering to care that he'd knocked Peter back in the process. Ruffled, Peter got up and hurriedly followed. Voldemort was already in the room when he arrived, inspecting the cribs of both children. At the sight of Peter, he promptly stunned him, sending the shorter man to the floor once more. 

Voldemort looked down at the first crib. In it was a boy with a shock of messy black hair, sleeping peacefully. Suddenly, his eyes opened, and stared at him. He peered back into the child's hazel eyes. This boy was moderately powerful in his own right. Voldemort knew that this boy may not be enough to rival him, but he could likely take on Albus Dumbledore any day. The boy began to cry at the sight of him. He rolled his eyes. 

Then came the next crib. This child was awake, likely awoken by the crying. He was a carbon copy of his brother, the only difference being his emerald green eyes, a very nice shade of green if Voldemort said so himself. The magic coming off this boy wasn't all too different from his brother's, though there was a difference that he just couldn't put his finger on. All he knew was, that this was the child he had to get rid of. But it seemed a shame to end this boy's life, he could be a valuable asset, maybe even his right hand one day.