« Company »

Chapter 4

Company

Miles was out of bed the second his father called him to get ready. Giddy with excitement, he chose to wear a plain white t-shirt, khakis, and a plain black sports coat, knowing that even while shopping for school supplies, he would never be able to get away from the interviews. Tugging on his white trainers as he went, Miles headed downstairs for breakfast. 

His parents were already downstairs, waiting for him. James already sitting in his place as Lily passed him a bottle of syrup to drizzle over the stack of pancakes in front of him. James eyed his outfit appreciatively. "Good choice son, no doubt there'll be news crews there, and as annoying as they are, you might as well look good."

Lily smiled as she set a stack of pancakes before Miles as he sat down. "He always dresses great." With a smirk, she added, "I don't recall you ever looking like that when we were his age."

James was defensive. "I had a very nice style sense, thank you very much." He ran a hand through his mop of black hair. "Besides, this masterpiece here was all anyone really looked at."

Miles instinctively brought his hand up, running it through his hair. With it all messed up like that, he was a dead ringer for James, though Miles' hair was slightly lighter. Looking around the table, he noticed something. "Dad, where's Harry?"

They both looked uncomfortable. "Miles..." James started, "We don't think your brother should come with us."

"Why not?" He looked at Lily. "Mum, why not?"

"Honey, you've noticed that Harry doesn't really like coming to our social events. And introducing him to everyone now, well it would make a bad impression." 

James nodded, chiming in, "It would damage our reputations, and more importantly, yours."

Miles shook his head in disbelief. "Well, you can't just hide him forever. He'll be coming to Hogwarts with me, everyone will know then."

They looked at one another, not speaking a word, but Miles knew that this hadn't occurred to them in that one glance. James cleared his throat, and Miles caught Lily's barely audible whisper. "We need to call Dumbledore."

James swiftly walked over to the fireplace, tossed in the floo powder, and shouted, "Dumbledore's Office!" Mere minutes later, he was back, with the older man in tow.

"Miles, I believe you don't understand the situation here," Dumbledore said as soon as he saw Miles. 

"Oh, I don't? By all means, enlighten me." He stared defiantly back at Dumbledore, and the older man had to look away due to the intensity of his glare. 

The man took a deep breath and began to speak. "Harry isn't-"

"I'm not what!" Harry cut him off as he came down the stairs, and by the look on his face, he had heard the whole thing. Lily and James attempted to shoo him away, but Harry stayed where he was, glaring at Dumbledore.

Instead of showing any indication that Harry had spoken, Dumbledore didn't take his eyes off Miles and continued speaking as though he hadn't been interrupted. "He isn't as adept at magic as you are my boy, and I have reason to believe that he is no more than a squib."

Out of the corner of his eye, Miles could see Harry tense up with rage. He shook his head as inconspicuously as he could, trying to tell his brother to not do anything. Harry glanced at him, then did the exact opposite. Harry closed his eyes in concentration, sending a burst of magic that sent Dumbledore up in the air, then pushed him back, making the man land on the floor in a heap after crashing into the wall.